I am paraphrasing from some emails that our IT staff and an engineer have been experiencing.
To the best of our knowledge, the SOS client did not change, the SOS server did not change. The SOS server was rebooted and still the aberrant behavior was observed in that the return codes from certain commands seemed to have changed.
The SOS documentation for the SOS Command Line client (http://www.sourcegear.com/sos/manual/soscmd.txt) says that a call to the command line client that is successful will return an exit code of 0, and an exit code of -1 on failure (the -1 will end up being mapped to 255).
It seems that these return codes are still being used for most invocations of the SOS Command Line client, but
what is now happening is that for some SOS commands the SOS Command Line client is returning an exit code of 255 for success, and an exit code of 0 for failure.
So far this morning, I have only been able to confirm this behavior on the "GetProjectTree" command to SOS.
I've worked around it so far, but I cannot understand why it should have changed.
Were there any changes on the SOS Server side or the VSS Server side this weekend?
I don't think anything has changed on the dev server (.29). Do you consistently have the same issue when using the GetProjectTree command? It sounds like you are only having the problem on some Linux boxes but not all?
The only thing I can think of is if the SOS server is in a bad state and either the service or the server needs to be restarted. If it seems to get worse I can do this today, just let me know when would be a good time. Otherwise I can reboot the server tomorrow morning and see if that resolves any issues.
I consistently see the same behavior of the SOS Command Line client when running the GetProjectTree command, from all of the linux boxes where I have tried it.
The last time I can verify that GetProjectTree was working would have been early Friday morning (1AM).
It is possible that it may have already started sometime Friday, but I didn't notice it because I don't necessarily run that command very often. It is definitely run once a night by the automated build scripts that run at 1AM on the server.
I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if I see a change.
From: Mickley, Dwight J
To: Barber, Franco
I rebooted the dev box (107.29). Let me know if the issue is still happening.
Yes, it still is doing it today. Again I tried from two different linux boxes.
GetProjectTree is returning the wrong return code.
GetProject (for example) is returning the right code.
As I go along my work, if I discover any more commands that return the wrong codes I'll let you know.