Padlock and other icons missing in Solution Explorer

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jlehew

Padlock and other icons missing in Solution Explorer

Post by jlehew » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:51 pm

Fortress 1.1.3 is intermittantly working. Sometimes it opens correctly. Sometimes it is missing icons on all files in 1 out of 3 projects in my solution. When I edit a file it looks like it checks out the file but it doesn't. I've been clicking on the "Add to Fortress" popup menu item after right clicking the project that isn't connected. Sometimes this works and connects it in. Sometimes it returns "No Eligible files were found to add to Fortress" Sometimes it works if I checkout a file and it puts a check beside just that file while all others are blank still. If I get the check mark and undo checkout, it puts icons next to all the items in that project. If more than one project does not show icons, it only puts it on that one.

When I added all the Theme files from the Telerik AJAX controls which is about 3800 files, Fortress crashed studio. I had to restart VS2008 several times until the initial Fortress window popped up listing all open files before VS2008 was ready. That popup window worked and put everything into source control but if VS2008 opened and that popup wasn't displayed, right-clicking the project and listing all the files didn't work. Before it could list the files, studio restarted itself.

=========================================================================================================================

I'm running VS2008 Professional SP1 on a Windows 2003 Server 64 bit VM that connects to a VM running 64 bit SourceGear Fortress 1.1.3 which connects to another VM running Sql Server 2005 also on Windows 2003 Server 64 bit.

=========================================================================================================================

In the trace file I emailed it shows it is working in an old directory:
C:\Source\MMR\V1
when it should only be working under this directory:
C:\Source\MMR\Admin\ARMS V1

The files used to be in that directory but I moved it by removing source control from the solution, then deleting that folder out of the repository in Fortress client, then moved the files to the new directory, and loaded the files into Fortress in the new location. This was done after having trouble with Fortress attempting to start over.

The trace file was generated following these steps: With my solution open, enable logging. Then close studio and reopen. Icons were missing. Then I went through my typical process to get the icons to display. They finally displayed. Then I closed studio and zipped up the file.

Very nice job on what SourceGear stores when it generates the log file.
. i.e. Calling client service GetRepositoryStructure(2, 111, -1, 7/1/1850 12:00:00 AM, ref, ref, ref)
Very few developers go to that level and include the method name and variable values in their log files!!!

I just emailed a trace file with a link to this post.

Thanks,
John

jeremy_sg

Re: Padlock and other icons missing in Solution Explorer

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:34 am

I've got your logs, and we'll talk about this over email.

hs: 214027
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

jlehew

Post by jlehew » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:16 am

Figured it out. When one of the projects was created, it was created as an ASP.NET project instead of a "Web Site" and this created a .Web.csproj file in the same directory with SCC (Source Code Control) tags in the file which were initialized and left blank. Then after realizing it should be a "Web Site" project instead of an ASP.NET project, that project was deleted from the solution and was reattached as a "Web Site." Note that "Web Site" projects do not have a .Web.csproj file associated with them but it was already there from the creation of the ASP.NET project. And since it was never attached to SourceGear all the SCC (Source Code Control) XML settings inside the .csproj file were blank.

When Studio opens it looks at the source control settings in the solution file first and then opens up the old project file that should not have been there and with the blank source control settings. This removed all the locks and other source control icons under that "Web Site" that were just added by the settings in the solution file. I simply deleted the project file that should not have been there and Visual Studio opens correctly with all the Padlocks and check marks that should be there.

That was a difficult problem to solve.

Hope that helps someone.

John

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks for the update. Happy to hear you're working.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support