Error creating the Web Proxy specified in the system.net

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ptalekar

Error creating the Web Proxy specified in the system.net

Post by ptalekar » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:41 am

Hi,

I am using Sourcegear Fortress Client version 1.1.1(18060). whenever I try to login throws an error stating - 'Error creating the Web Proxy specified in the 'system.net/defaultProxy' configuration section.'

Let me explain the other details which might have caused this problem.
recently I have uninstalled dot net framework 3.0 on my machine and revert back to dot net framework 2.0 (v2.0.50727) due to some reason.
After that this login problem has been started on my machine. I've tried reinstalling the Fortress Client, but still the same problem persist.

I've tried tyo search the past posts but couldn't find any specific.

I'll appreciate your advice to solve this issue.
Thanks,
Prashant.

Beth

Re: Error creating the Web Proxy specified in the system.net

Post by Beth » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:43 am

Did the changes to the .NET framework occur on your client computer or on the server?

Could you perform a repair install of your 2.0 .NET framework? That would be done from Add/Remove Programs. Click Change on the 2.0 .NET framework.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

ptalekar

Post by ptalekar » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:02 am

Hi, The changes to the .NET framework has occured on my client computer. I've tried to repair install 2.0 .NET framework, but it didn't work.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:20 pm

How about completely uninstalling your 2.0 .NET framework, then uninstall Fortress, download the latest version of the 2.0 .NET framework from Microsoft, install the framework, and then install Fortress.

What operating system are you on?
Beth Kieler

ptalekar

Post by ptalekar » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:03 am

Hi, I am using WinXP (SP2).

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:54 pm

Can you let me know the results of trying the suggestion in my last post?

Is your OS 64-bit or 32-bit?
Do you have a firewall installed?
Beth Kieler

ptalekar

Post by ptalekar » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:17 am

Hi Beth, I've tried your suggestion as mentioned i.e. uninstalling 2.0 .NET framework, then uninstall Fortress client, after that install the framework, and then install Fortress client. But Fortress client still throws the same error. I'm using 32-bit WinXP (SP2) and the windows firewall is disabled, whereas my companies firewall does not have any issue with using Fortress client (as with this firewall my fortress client was working okay earlier and at present my colleagues are using the same Fortress client without any problem).

I also have tried specifying 'proxyaddress' in file 'VaultGUIClient.exe.config'. But when logged in fortress client throws an error stating "Unable to connect to http://vaultserver/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server." when tried to open tools/option menu an error was thrown "An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used".

I've specified address something as "http://111.11.1.11:44" for an entry proxyaddress="http://proxyhost:proxyport" in file ''VaultGUIClient.exe.config''. What does it mean 'An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used' and where to look for it.

Could you please suggest any further on this!

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:44 pm

I think the issue is not with a setting in Fortress, but with a setting in .NET or some Windows setting. Have you considered adding the 3.0 .NET framework back in?

By any chance are you running Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware?
How about VMWare?
Has any software been installed in the last week?

Do you get the same error if you turn your firewall back on?

The error "An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used" could mean that whatever has changed wants an IPv6 address instead of an IPv4 address. I'm not sure beyond that what that error would imply.
Beth Kieler

ptalekar

Post by ptalekar » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:09 am

yes even I feel the issue is with .net settings. Rest I do have tried installing .net framwork 3.0 and then fortress client but shows the same error with and without windows firewall turned on.
I don't have windows antispyware, vmware on my machine and haven't installed any software except MSVS2005 during last week.

Incase if anyone has an idea about .net settings(web proxy) will appreciate your reply.

P.S. error says - 'Error creating the Web Proxy specified in the 'system.net/defaultProxy' configuration section'

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:19 pm

also have tried specifying 'proxyaddress' in file 'VaultGUIClient.exe.config'
Could you place that file completely back to it's default? If you're unsure what the default file is supposed to be, then you could uninstall, make sure that file is removed and all other Vault/Fortress files and registry entries, then install again to get to the defaults.

After that, try connecting again.
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:07 am

We are now working offline on this issue. If any others have suggestions, feel free to respond.

HS: 214687
Beth Kieler

ptalekar

Post by ptalekar » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Restting the winsock catlog using command 'netsh Winsock reset' has solved the problem. I can login to fortress client. The issue is now closed.

Reagrds,
Prashant.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:41 am

Thanks for the update.

If anyone else receives the same error, please refer to this thread when contacting us for instructions.
Beth Kieler