Fortress 2.0 - Printable button?

If you are having a problem using Fortress, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

hsconnor

Fortress 2.0 - Printable button?

Post by hsconnor » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:31 am

We have upgraded for Fortress 2.0 (2.0.1.18729).

Previously, in the Web client / Item Tracking, I would often use the Printable button to copy results from a query into a spreadsheet. In 2.0, the Printable button appears to be gone, although the help information still refers to it. Is there a way to export a query to a spreadsheet, or is the Printable button hiding somewhere :-).

Thanks.

IanG

Re: Fortress 2.0 - Printable button?

Post by IanG » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:49 am

Hi,
we also used to use the printing view to make exporting into other documents easier so if there is any way to achive this we would really like to know, either that or add another vote for the reinstatment of the print view.

Rgrds Ian.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:10 am

You can print the screen contents using the Print command in your browser. However this prints it as an image rather than a textbased file. I I have logged bug/feature request 14853 to return this functionality.

If other users need this feature, we would like to know.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

paulroub

Post by paulroub » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:27 am

Just to clarify - the odds that the Printable button, as it was, would come back are fairly low -- simply because we don't need a separate page for printing anymore.

But we will look at other ways to solve the copy-the-list-to-a-spreadsheet problem. Hopefully something that will be simpler and cleaner.

In the meantime, as a workaround, copying items from Work Item lists in the standalone/GUI client works very well.
Paul Roub
SourceGear

ftlteam

Post by ftlteam » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:43 pm

Separate from the discussion on the need for copy list to spreadsheet, I would like to voice our other concerns about missing printable button.

First, because the screen background is grey on grey rows, this is both printer toner/ink heavy and also less readable/usable in print format. This is important because often I am providing a printed copy for specific external sponsors to review or post and they have commented that the new "screenshot" print is not very professional looking or empties their ink cartridges.

Second, when the list of filtered tasks is greater a single screen, they are split into multiple pages. This means that I either have to page through each one to print a single screen worth of tasks or I have to remember to click on the view all button to load everything to a single screen before printing. Either way my path to a nice printable version of the query list is now noticably longer than the simple printable button of the previous version.

Hopefully these comments change your opinion about the "need" for a printable button, and will prompt you to add it back to your bug/feature request list.

Thanks.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:25 pm

From Paul Roub's earlier post:
In the meantime, as a workaround, copying items from Work Item lists in the standalone/GUI client works very well.
Have you tried copying query results from the Fortress GUI Client? To do this, log in with the Fortress Client and select View->Browse Fortress Items. You'll see all the built-in queries, like Open, Recent, etc. You can also right click on an item tracking project name and select Query to build a query.

Run the query and then click in the query results (which will highlight a row), and use Ctrl-A to select all the items in the query. Right-click again and select Copy.

Now you can easily paste the results into a spreadsheet or text file. This avoids problems with the colors in the web client, etc.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

ftlteam

Post by ftlteam » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:02 pm

Linda,

Thanks, yes we did see the comment from the earlier post, but it's not really relevant for our users that have web-only licenses (which are the ones mostly needing the print functionality). I guess you are probably not offering free full-access license upgrades to enable the workaround for those users. :wink:

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:50 am

it's not really relevant for our users that have web-only licenses
Good point. I don't think we considered that. I'll log a feature request to either bring back the printable button or provide free licenses for web-users who need access to the bug reports in the GUI Client. :D

(I think the printable button is more likely to be implemented, though.)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear