retrieving label or comment from a file

Post your questions regarding using the Vault and Fortress API in your programs.

Moderator: SourceGear

bermudabob

retrieving label or comment from a file

Post by bermudabob » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:32 am

I need to be able to set either a label or a comment for a file and then be able to retrieve it again at a later date.

Currently, I can set a label and I can set a comment, but I'm have a job figuring out how to retrieve them. is there any way to get a label or a comment associated with a version of a file? I've looked at the available properties in the VaultClientFile object and also GetFileProperties, but no label info seems there, and the comment field always seems to be blank, no matter what I set it to.

Rob

bermudabob

Re: retrieving label or comment from a file

Post by bermudabob » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:47 am

I've done some more digging, and found how to get the information I need using ProcessCommandHistory. The only stumbling block I've got now is that while I can create a label, I need to be able to create a comment to go with it. Not having much success in finding how to do this...

bermudabob

Post by bermudabob » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:23 am

Looks like I've managed to find out how to do this myself - for information purposes, here's what I did:

I set the 'ServerOperations.client.Comment' field to the comment I wanted and then did the 'ServerOperations.ProcessCommandLabel' method. Lo and behold, the comment field was set. It also works for other operations such as Check in and Check out.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:35 pm

Thank you for posting what you found. This should help other users as well.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support