Check-in and Item Tracking without milestone

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
BigBrett

Check-in and Item Tracking without milestone

Post by BigBrett » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 am

Vault Pro 7.2.1.30265

My users generally, via the VS2008 IDE and using the Enhanced Client, check-in their code changes and select a Fortress item against which to check in. It would appear that if the Fortress item does not have a milestone set (milestones are available) then the code is checked in but the comments and change set details are not added to the Fortress item (Vault Pro output in the IDE shows an error "Unable to update one or more of the following bug(s)").

Editing the Fortress item to set a milestone then allows the comments and change set details to be added during check in.

Our problem is that not all items have milestones specified so we are losing information.

Regards,
Brett

Beth

Re: Check-in and Item Tracking without milestone

Post by Beth » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:48 pm

I'll need to collect some logs in debug mode.

1) On the machine with a Vault client, go to %temp%\VaultGUIclient.txt and rename that log. That will force Vault to make a new one.
2) On the Vault server log, go to C:\Windows\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log and rename that log file also.
3) Open the Vault admin web page and click on Logging. Set the logging level to Debug and click Save. This will disconnect users and they'll have to log back in again.
4) Open a Vault GUI client and press Ctrl - Alt - Shift - F12 to start the client logging.
5) Check out a file, edit it, and then perform a check in against a work item that does not have a milestone.
6) You can either post the log files here or email them to support at sourcegear.com with a link to this thread. We'll need to see the entirety of both logs.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:29 pm

Hi Beth,

Here are the relevant log files.

I see from the VsipClient log that the work item is not updated as the milestone is inactive. However the work item has not been assigned a milestone (shows as None in the task details).

Regards,
Brett
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Thanks for the additional information. I ran a bunch of tests and am getting inconsistent results between various servers. There is a bug here somewhere, but I haven't found the root cause yet.

So that you can continue in the meantime, you can try one or more of the following:

1) Go to the Associated Commits and add what was checked in.

2) Make a general milestone for items that aren't assigned to any other milestone. Then Query for items with the (none) milestone. Select all the results, then go to the bottom to the Milestone drop down that will allow you to edit all their milestones at once. Set them to your general milestone. Then see if you can check in against the work item. (Feel free to test this first with one time that is assigned to a milestone to make sure this is what will get around it.)
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

BigBrett

Post by BigBrett » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:02 pm

I have confirmed that as soon as I set a milestone for the relevant item then check in is correctly updated for the item.

We are currently using the Associated Commits method of updating the work items but might just give your general milestone suggestion a try.

Regards,
Brett

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:07 am

Brett,

Thanks for the report. We've logged a bug for this problem. For right now, the "General" milestone is a work-around. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Brett,

We've identified a problem in one of the stored procedures used when modifying a work item from the Vault client. Would you be interested in a script that replaces the lone stored procedure to see if it addresses the problem? If so, please email us : support AT sourcegear.com with a link to this forum issue.

Thanks.

HS: 231682
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear