Folder Export very slow

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gmdl

Folder Export very slow

Post by gmdl » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:01 am

Hallo,
we use a repository for several branches of our source code. I would like to export the latest branches into a new repository in order to keep the repositories small. I tried this process with a small folder. The export tool shows some 2500 transactions, each transaction takes a couple of seconds, so I can calculate, that if I try the same thing with the real folder, which may contain many thousands of transactions, it will take practically forever.

I saw other discussions of this problem in this forum, but they all end with the advice to send an email to support so that this can be discussed offline.

Is there a solution to this problem?
Regards
Guntram

Beth

Re: Folder Export very slow

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:16 pm

The Vault Folder Export Import tool isn't optimized for speed, but there are steps you can take to help speed things up.

Vault performance recommendations: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4206.
Database performance tweak: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=22358

You can also run the tool right on the server and use localhost to connect to rule out data having to move across the network to a client machine.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

gmdl

Post by gmdl » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:18 am

Hi Beth,
what kind of performance, would you expect. I get about 1 transaction every 10s. With a total of 300000 transactions in the repository, export would take more than a week. A performance of 10 transactions per second would help. Is this realistic?
Guntram

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:36 am

The performance has multiple factors involved, so I couldn't really give you a number on transactions per second. One transactions every ten seconds seems slow to me as well for Vault, but an overloaded machine might get something like that. The best route is to take the steps for improving performance, and then look at how loaded the SQL Server may be. Disk performance on the machines involved is key. I've had past customers get a huge performance increase from even deframentation.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support