Macintosh client?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kendolondon

Re: Macintosh client?

Post by kendolondon » Fri May 08, 2009 4:12 am

Having just started some iPhone development I'd really love to see an OsX client or, better still, plugin for xCode. Please add my vote also!

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Fri May 08, 2009 6:40 am

We aren't currently working on a mac client (but our java command line client will work on mac). Unfortunately, Xcode only supports Subversion, Perforce, and CVS. They haven't released a source control API for us to even consider integrating with XCode.
Subscribe to the Fortress/Vault blog

SneWs

Post by SneWs » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:12 pm

Please add my vote as well.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:40 am

I have added your vote.

Also, please note that if you are working with Eclipse that we have an Eclipse plug-in that will work for you on a MAC.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

redtopia

Post by redtopia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:07 pm

I've been using Vault for a couple years now and I love it. My main development is done on Windows, so no problems there. It works great. However, I just purchased a Mac and I need to duplicate my development environment on this new mac. I was ****REALLY REALLY HOPING**** that there would be a mac client for Vault, because if there were, I would be able to do ALL my development on the native OS. So I hereby cast a vote for a mac vault client. There are plenty of Mac developers would would use Vault if a Mac GUI client were available, and I agree that those looking here (and not finding one) will most likely keep looking rather than let you know. Unfortunately, working via command line is a deal breaker for me. I may be a software programmer, and therefore a geek, but I have to admit that any program that works via command line makes me physically ill and makes me feel a real sense of anger.

Question: Will Vault work under Parallels?

jeffhostetler

Post by jeffhostetler » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:42 pm

FWIW, I wrote DiffMerge on Mac, Linux, and Windows and used Vault to maintain the source (obviously).

I created a shared partition on Windows and then mounted it on the other platforms. This let me have
1 copy of the source and compile on all 3 platforms from the same tree. I use the GUI client on the Windows
machine to do all checkin/checkout operations.

I've used this setup with both different physical machines on the LAN and with various VM Ware and VM Ware Fusion
host/guest combinations without problem. I've also done this with the Mac or Linux hosting the file system and sharing
it into Windows.

The only quirk is the occasional clock skew issue problem that causes Make to complain....

I've not tried Parallels.

hope this helps,
jeff hostetler

redtopia

Post by redtopia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Nice... I've done that type of thing before with VSS and it works nicely. That won't work for me b/c my Mac needs to be stand-alone, so there won't be any other computers around to do the Vault Client work. I need to be able to connect to the Vault repository remotely via HTTP. I'm hoping it works on Parallels, but it would be nice to not have to rely on a Windows emulator.

dprothero

Post by dprothero » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:28 pm

I'd like to add my vote here. Can you please do that? Integration into Xcode would be great. A lot of us are having to use Macs to develop iPhone apps (kicking and screaming, mind you).

Since they don't have an open API for Xcode integration (what? apple not have an open API for something!?), you probably would have to emulate one of the other supported source control systems (i.e. SubVersion, Perforce, or CVS).

If not integration into Xcode, a minimal Mac GUI client would be the next best thing. (Probably in Java so it's cross platform?)

David

redtopia

Post by redtopia » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:36 pm

For those of you using Eclipse on the mac, there is a Vault plugin for it. I've gotten that to work, but I would vastly prefer to have a mac stand alone client.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:37 pm

Redtopia and dprothero, I've added your votes to the feature request. Thank you for your feedback.

F: 9186
Beth Kieler

slmcmahon

Post by slmcmahon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Please add my vote as well. We are currently looking for Mac solutions and it would be cool if we could keep everything in Vault.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Got it. Thanks.
Beth Kieler

neal007

Post by neal007 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:14 am

I'm using MonoDevelop and MonoTouch for iPhone development and would love to use Vault and to keep two machines in sync for dev (iMAC and MacBook Pro). If you could provide a system that works within Mono so I can use a GUI of some type to check-in/check-out/get latest, etc. this would be huge for me!

Thx
Neal Culiner
NC Software, Inc.
http://www.nc-software.com

Vault 5.1.2
VS 2010/C#
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

VB.NET Forums: http://www.vbdotnetforums.com

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:56 am

I've added your vote too, Neal007. Thanks.

F: 9186
Beth Kieler

willwh

Post by willwh » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:57 pm

Another vote for MonoDevelop.