Windows Explorer integration

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

steveculshaw

Windows Explorer integration

Post by steveculshaw » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:45 am

Just started trying out Vault ...
- is there any integration directly in Windows Explorer for adding files, similar to Perforce and CVS ?
- all I seem to have on the Right Click menu is DiffMerge :-(
Cheers,
SteveC.

lbauer

Re: Windows Explorer integration

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:53 pm

There's no right-click menu, but you can drag-n-drop files and folders from local directories by clicking the Vault folder you want to add to and dragging files or folders into the File list window.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

steveculshaw

Post by steveculshaw » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:12 pm

Shame, I've found it very useful to have the "immediacy" by having the extension to Windows Explorer that e.g. Tortoise CVS provides ... http://www.tortoisecvs.org/
- any plans to add similar in Vault 5 ?
lbauer wrote:There's no right-click menu, but you can drag-n-drop files and folders from local directories by clicking the Vault folder you want to add to and dragging files or folders into the File list window.
Cheers,
SteveC.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:21 pm

Vault 5 will be out soon, and this isn't in the feature set. But we do have a feature request 11641 logged for this. I'll add your "vote."
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

steveculshaw

Post by steveculshaw » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:18 am

Thanks Linda
lbauer wrote:Vault 5 will be out soon, and this isn't in the feature set. But we do have a feature request 11641 logged for this. I'll add your "vote."
Cheers,
SteveC.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:48 am

You're welcome.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

VOORSPRONG

Post by VOORSPRONG » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:23 am

Did this feature request make it for Vault 5, 6 or 7 ? Some new developers hired like the tortoise feature and miss this with Vault.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:56 pm

We don't currently have Explorer integration. I will add your vote to the feature.

F: 5425
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

JulietLindg

Post by JulietLindg » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Hey there, I'm also having issues with direct Windows Explorer integration similar to CVS and Perforce. Any advice here?
Juliet

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:15 pm

We don't currently offer Windows Explorer integration. I can add your vote to the feature. There isn't a work-around to make it appear there. Users will have to use either the Vault GUI client or in integration with Visual Studio or SSMS.
Beth Kieler

VOORSPRONG

Post by VOORSPRONG » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:37 pm

Beth,

While the Vault Studio works fine it is bit of a shortcoming as we don't use Vault with the other two tools you mention. You used to make a webservice based interface but when I asked about that years ago it was said as not supported, dead in the water. The .NET interface DLL can't be used by Win32 tools without writing your own wrapper DLL.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:45 am

We have a web client, but not one that performs check outs/check ins and so on. It's for information mostly. One can see files, pull a version of a file down, or view Diff or Blame.

In order to use the Visual Studio integration, you would have installed the full Vault client. That's what I meant by the Vault GUI client. On the machines you installed it on, you will have a Vault GUI client, a Vault command-line client, integration with Visual Studio if it's present, and then integration with SQL Server Management Studio if it's present.

I'll make sure to let the developers know that users have interest in Windows Explorer integration.

F: 5425
Beth Kieler