Handoff failed -- help

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

cellardoor

Handoff failed -- help

Post by cellardoor » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Hello,

I m running vault on a 64 bit windows server 2003, but I ve configured the IIS to run 32 bit.

I copied VSS directory to the C:\ drive, due to some reason, I cannot install Vault in the production server. I tried other version control system such such SVN, the migration usually works when I run it from the VSS directory copy.

when I run Handoff, I got the following error:

VSS is not installed on the vault.xxxxxxxxx.com machine. Exception connecting to VSS: Failed to open the database: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {783CD4E4-9D54-11CF-B8EE-00608CC9A71F} failed due to the following error: 80040154. Please verify that VAULT\Administrator has Full Control of the c:\vss directory.

I got the above error, is it because that the VSS is not installed? But all the application in vss\win32 directory work, and I can access the VSS database from the copy.

If it is the case, what should I do? Since I cant install vault in the production server.

Thanks a lot

Dave

Beth

Re: Handoff failed -- help

Post by Beth » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:08 am

Do you have a VSS client installed on the same machine as Vault? Vault will use the automation component that installs with the VSS client to connect to the VSS database.

Did you enter in a user to impersonate and is VSS in a share that allows the impersonated user to have access?

Documentation for hand-off can be found in Section 5 of the Vault administrator's manual and in the KB article Tips for performing a Handoff from VSS.

If there's still interest in installing Vault on the original server, then let me know what errors you received.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

cellardoor

Post by cellardoor » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:20 am

the handoff works after i installed a VSS client.

Thanks a lot

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you got it working.
Beth Kieler

RSchmoldt

Post by RSchmoldt » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:19 am

6 Years later I have the same Problem
  • Windows 2012 Foundation Server
    IIS
    Vault Pro Server 8
    VSS database on this Server copied
    No VSS installed
Error on request HandoffSources.aspx/SaveExternalSource.

Exception connecting to VSS: Exception connecting to VSS: Failed to open the database: Die COM-Klassenfactory für die Komponente mit CLSID {783CD4E4-9D54-11CF-B8EE-00608CC9A71F} konnte aufgrund des folgenden Fehlers nicht abgerufen werden: 80040154 Klasse nicht registriert (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)). Please verify that IIS APPPOOL\VaultAppPool has Full Control of the C:\Development\Projects\SigPDF directory.

Problem: No VSS client installed, because VSS setup cannot be executed (compatibility problems).

Question for Workaround:

Can I install Vault 8 on the old Windows 2003 Server and then execute Handoff ?
If yes, can I simply copy the new Vault database (folder structure ?) to the target Windows 2012 Server and then use that copied database ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Rolf

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:28 pm

Just responding here so that if others run into this issue involving VSS compatibility, look over to this thread: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 48&t=22433.
Beth Kieler