Need "Detect New Folders to Add" feature

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

davenovak

Need "Detect New Folders to Add" feature

Post by davenovak » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:15 pm

Just as there is already a feature which allows you to Detect New Files to Add, I would feature like to see a similar feature for Folders. The way it would work would be to search from the specified starting location into your working folders until it found a directory that was not already under source code control. Clicking the checkbox associated with a folder (within the list of folders found) would be the way the user could include/exclude specific folders (just as is done for detecting new files). Having such a feature would be a lifesaver when it comes time for us to merge with manufacturer updates to the 3D Graphics Engine we use.

The alternative I have (for now) is to turn on the Show non-version-controlled folders ghosted in folder tree option and add these with one at a time. Though this is better than nothing, we often have 100 new folders to add and the engine tree nests quite deeply, making those new folders difficult to find (even with ghosting turned on).

I'm sure many others would appreciate Detect New Folders to Add if you had this feature.

Thanks for listening.

--Dave Novak

lbauer

Re: Need "Detect New Folders to Add" feature

Post by lbauer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:03 pm

We have feature request logged for this functionality; I'll add your vote. Thanks for your feedback.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

davenovak

Post by davenovak » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Thanks for listening; I'm glad this on is on the radar.

Getting back to Show non-version-controlled folders ghosted in folder tree option, is there any way for me to force the Vault Client to expand all sub-folders beneath a particular branch? If only I had this option, I could at least easily identify all of the folders that need to be added.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:25 pm

There isn't a way to expand the entire tree, but I'll add your comments to the feature request, 9465,

Thanks for the suggestions.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Tonyb

Post by Tonyb » Sun May 02, 2010 10:51 am

+1 for this feature.

It would also be nice to perform vault functions (add file, add folder) from the "show folder differences" windows.

Doing a recursive "Show differences" can be helpful to find files and folders that aren't in vault but once you find the files you have to switch to a difference window to actually add the file or folder.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 05, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks for your comments. I've added them to the bug details.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

pkeairnes

Post by pkeairnes » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:01 am

+1 for both of these features (Detect New Folders to Add, and performing actions from the Folder Differences window).

antonburger

Post by antonburger » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:54 am

It's been a while since @davenovak's post asking about it, but there is a way to expand a branch of the tree: Select the node and press * on the numpad. This is the default TreeView behaviour in .NET.

Incidentally, make that a +1 from me for "Detect New Files and Folders". It's far too easy not to check new files in when you're using the standalone client (5.1.1).

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:36 pm

there is a way to expand a branch of the tree: Select the node and press * on the numpad. This is the default TreeView behaviour in .NET.
I did not know that. Thanks!

I found that the "+" sign also expands the tree and the "-" sign on the numberpad collapses the tree.

I'll add your vote to the feature request.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

janselmin

Post by janselmin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:37 am

A feature that we would like is for 'Detect New files to Add' to run every time source is checked in. Not everyone might want this but if it could be selectable in Tools > Options > Check In / Branch so that our implementation automatically adds, it would cut down at least one phone call I make or get every week. Thanks!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestion!

I've logged feature request 16133 for this functionality. It will be evaluated for an upcoming release of Vault.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

arthur5005

Post by arthur5005 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:53 am

I've been using Vault for 2 years, and this is my biggest gripe. Often times I go a while without checking things in (working hard on a new feature, I don't want to destabilize the tree). I've learned out of habit to add files & folders as I make them, but it really slows down the 'flow' so to speak. Only being able to automatically detect new files and not folders, is kind of only a half complete feature imho.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:19 am

Thanks for the feedback. I've added your comments to the feature request.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jeff.bailey

Post by jeff.bailey » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:35 pm

This feature is very important to me. Where can I go to view the status of 16133 and preferably be notified when this feature is implemented?

Thanks.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:00 pm

Our feature request and bug database is not accessible, but I can put in a note to notify you when it gets added in. I've also added another vote to it.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support