"Moving" Vault to a new domain on the same server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

craigr

"Moving" Vault to a new domain on the same server

Post by craigr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:35 am

At your suggestion, I'm moving Vault to its own subdomain on our server. I have a couple questions.

1) I wasn't sure if I could/should delete Vault from its original location before installing in the new location. The install at the new location seemed to go fine. I only see one entry in "add/remove programs". Can I simply delete the folders Vault created on the original site and that will take care of it?

2) For some reason, while the second install went to the right location (vault.mydomain.com), the home page shows the IP address instead of the subdomain and all the links are to the IP address instead of the subdomain. Can I simply search the Vault folders on the new subdomain for any mention of the IP address and change them to use the subdomain URI and that will fix it?

Craig

Beth

Re: "Moving" Vault to a new domain on the same server

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:12 am

Had you performed an uninstall of the original installation first?

When you created your new website for Vault, what location did you set it to? If you set it to a different location, but didn't specify that same path during the Vault install, then you will end up with some files in the default location as well. I haven't tested just deleting those, so I don't know if it would work. What I'd suggest is an uninstall and reinstall, but when it offers typical or custom, choose custom and browse to the same location that the website is set to use.

You can change the URLs in the Vault home page by just editing the index.html.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

craigr

Post by craigr » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:12 pm

I'm re-activating this thread because it addresses the same issues I'm running into going from 8 to 9.

First, the server installer defaults to installing to inetpub/wwwroot but then gives you the choice of selecting a different website to install to. You end up with some stuff installed to wwwroot and some stuff installed to the selected website. That's dumb.

So I did a remove and re-installed. This time I remembered to change inetpub/wwwroot to the web folder of my selected site (which is my Vault subdomain). When it later asked for the website I want to install to, I selected my Vault subdomain.

The problems are these:

1) After the install, it launches the default admin site, which is not installed, so I get a 404-error.
2) When I manually browse to my Vault subdomain, the links all go back to the default domain, so they don't work.
3) When I manually correct the URLs to point to my Vault subdomain, everything is there and I can enter my new version 9 registration key and it looks like everything is working. But when I try to view Shadow Folder assignments, I get this message:
Server was unable to process request. ---> Unable to connect to http://server1.mydomain.com/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.
... which makes sense since there is no Vault site at server1.mydomain.com because I installed it to my vault subdomain. But it begs the question: How do I get to my shadow folder settings?

And once again I'm completely shut out of my code for another two days until you are back in the office, which makes three days of getting absolutely nothing done because of my original problem (Vault suddenly stopped letting me check in files). :evil:

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:37 am

As an update to this thread, the user and I met offline. One identified problem appeared to have been an older Vault server that was still available at the same hostname as what was in the hostheader.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support