external reference into Vault GUI Client

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jvis@msc-ge.com

external reference into Vault GUI Client

Post by jvis@msc-ge.com » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:11 am

We use Vault quite much. We have large repositories and a lot of files organized there.
It happens, that I send an Email to a colleague, where I refer to one file in the large repository.

Is there a possibility to create a "link" inside the email. Something like:

vault://<path>/<filename>
(similar to mailto:<name> or http://<url>)

If I double-click this within the email, the systems recognizes , that Vault Gui Client is allready open. And then, the Gui-Client jumps automatically to this file?

Alternatively: Is there a command-Line Option to Vault-Gui-Client like
VaultGui.exe <path>
Vault-Gui opens and jumps to the specified file?

If not, this would be a very nice feature!

Thanks for your help

Johannes

Beth

Re: external reference into Vault GUI Client

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:48 am

It's possible to create a link to a file in the web client, but not yet in the GUI client.

In the web client, if you go to http://<your Vault Server>/VaultService/VaultWeb/Default.aspx, you can browse the repository code and copy the web link for the file you are referencing.

I'll put in a feature request for a link to files inside of the Vault GUI client.

F: 16278
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jvis@msc-ge.com

Post by jvis@msc-ge.com » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:37 am

There is a new Verion 7 available now? Has this feature found its way into this Version 7 of Vault ?
Thanks for help

Johannes

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:01 am

It's not possible yet to have a link go to a location inside of Vault.

The link to the file in the web client would look something like http://<your Vault Server>/VaultService/VaultWeb/VaultHistory.aspx?File=version path. For example, here's a link to a file in our Vault Pro Demo server: http://vaultprodemo.sourcegear.com/Vaul ... stdoc3.txt. (You can login as guest1 and password guest1 to see the page.)

Inside of Vault, you can right-click either the Vault path or the working folder path and select Copy. It won't create a link, but it will provide you with an exact address. In the screenshot attached, I've pointed out the addresses you can copy.
Attachments
copy path.png
copy path.png (23.37 KiB) Viewed 12644 times
Beth Kieler

jvis@msc-ge.com

Post by jvis@msc-ge.com » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:01 am

Hello

Is this feature "have a link into Vault Gui Client" in Version 8 available now?

Best regards
Johannes

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:58 pm

Not yet, but if you use notifications, the email in notifications will contain the path to what was checked in or changed. That might get you a path to use. Would that work?

If not, let me know a bit more about how you need it to work.

F: 16278, 9411
Beth Kieler

jvis@msc-ge.com

Post by jvis@msc-ge.com » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:26 am

Hello Beth
Still no progress on this topic? We upgraded to Version 9.1 recently. But still no "external link feature".
I really would appreciate, if this feature will find its way into Soucegear Vault.

The point is: We are using Vault as a document management system in our company. Unfortunately there are other systems in our company, which provide a similar functionality, but not as good as vault. For example Microtool Instep, which we use as project management tool. It also provides a revision control functionality, but is not usable for software develop.

So it would be nice to use this "link feature" as a cross reference between both systems. Instep can provide an external link, which I can check into the vault repository as reference-link to instep. But the opposite way is still not possible.

It would be a great feature.

Thank you
Best regards
Johannes

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:50 pm

The developers are still working on Vault 10, and this item is listed for it. If it slips on the initial release date, then it would be coming not long after. It's on their radar.
Beth Kieler