Git Import/Export

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

lbauer

Re: Git Import/Export

Post by lbauer » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:26 am

Sorry you are unhappy with SourceGear. As a software vendor, our priorities are to make Vault the best possible version control tool for our users. So we are devoting development time to new features, bug fixes, etc. for Vault 6.0.

As you have experienced yourself, writing an export or import tool that must interface with a different software is difficult and time consuming. If we spend development time on that, then it takes away time from making our product better for users that are staying with Vault.

Generally, if users are moving to another software, the other software company or its users take it upon themselves to write an export tool. For instance, tens of thousands of VSS users have been moving to Vault. It made sense for us to devote development time creating a VSS Import Tool. But because our development resources are not unlimited, it is unlikely we would devote them to an export tool to another software.

We certainly will provide information about using the Client API, if you have specific questions about its functionality. Any type of export would probably be slow because you are retrieving history in one database and and recreating it in another. Plus there are shares, branches, pins, labels, user associations, etc. It's not just a matter of getting files and putting them into another database.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

jchannon

Post by jchannon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:45 am

I understand.

Would you be able to give me a query that showed all files and its path and its versions and labels?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:37 pm

I have a query that might help.

Email support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jchannon

Post by jchannon » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:33 am

Email Sent!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:37 am

Sent our BuildTree script.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

ileff

Post by ileff » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:37 am

Linda,

Does the Folder Import/Export tool now have any option to leave out history? We are a bit behind 5.1.

It'd like to make a copy of a repository by using the tool on the root folder but that takes a really long time. For this purpose the current versions only are fine but I want to keep my complex web of share/branching.

Thanks,

Ian

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:38 am

Folder Export Import still imports all history.

I've logged feature request 17506 to import only the "tip" version of a folder, but include shares, branches, etc.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

ileff

Post by ileff » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:53 pm

Linda,

Did feature request 17506 ever get implemented? We really need it.

Thanks,

Ian

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:07 pm

This feature hasn't made it into the recently release.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized you were talking about something else than what the initial forum thread covered. The feature you mentioned isn't implemented yet.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support