Checkbox selection not working correctly after upgrade

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ww

Checkbox selection not working correctly after upgrade

Post by ww » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Since I upgraded from 5.x to 6.x, the checkbox selection in the pending change set is not working correctly. If I click a file name, the row is highlighted and the checkbox gets checked. If I then go click on a different row, the original checkbox is cleared, and the new row is highlighted and checked. The only way to select multiple rows is to use CTRL or SHIFT when clicking, which defeats the purpose of having the checkboxes.

In the previous version it worked correctly: clicking the row did not change the check state of that row or any other; you had to click the checkbox (or press space bar) for that.

Is there a setting I am missing?

lbauer

Re: Checkbox selection not working correctly after upgrade

Post by lbauer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:25 pm

We did change the behavior of checkboxes slightly, based on feedback from users.

Try checking directly in the checkbox, rather than on the row. As you click on more than one checkbox, the checks should remain. However if you click on a row, only that row's checkbox will remain checked.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

ww

Post by ww » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Please give me back the old behavior. This is an enormous step backward for me. I am frequently in the situation where I have a large number of changes in the change set but they need to be committed under different transactions. Sometimes I need to view differences on a file to decide whether to check it in. With checkbox selection, it was possible to select/right-click a file and do this, independent of selecting the file.

In old versions, before checkboxes were introduced, there was no way to do this. You had to do all your viewing before you started making selections, and this was a huge pain. Now you've gone back to that limitation: there is no way to do anything with a file without resetting all of the selections you have made.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Users were confused about checkbox behavior, since it was different than in Windows. So we decided to standardize.

The behavior is now the same as the way checkboxes behave if you have them enabled in Windows Explorer on Vista or later OS versions. (The option to use checkboxes for items in your Windows directories is in Windows Explorer under Organize->Folder and Search Options->View->Advanced Settings->Use Checkboxes to select items.)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

ww

Post by ww » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:30 pm

I never knew that option was there in Windows but now that I have tried it, I don't like it there, either. I understand your wanting to be consistent with Windows but the needs are different in the two places--you're much less likely to be looking at file properties while making selections in Explorer than you are in Vault. Please reconsider--I can't be the only one who needs to be able to look at files while making selections. Though apparently I am, since no one else is complaining :)

GregM

Post by GregM » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:45 pm

This came up in another thread too.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... x&start=30

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:47 am

I'll log a feature request to give users options on which behavior to use.

f: 12096
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

ww

Post by ww » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Thank you!

ww

Post by ww » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:31 pm

I just upgraded to version 7.1 and am surprised and disappointed that this has not been addressed, unless I am missing something. This continues to be a huge annoyance for me.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Sorry, this didn't make it into the release. We still hope to implement this, however.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

kiwirob

Post by kiwirob » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:51 pm

Just upgraded from 5.x to 8 and this issue has still not been addressed - this is a major PITA

Some of us were using 5.1.1 clients on 5.1.2 server just because of this so called 'feature'.

How hard is it to put a 'Do not keep selection and check boxes synchronised' option under the existing option in the settings and stop this checkbox clicking behaviour in the pending change set.

Come on guys...

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:37 pm

I've updated the request so that the developers are aware that you're waiting on this and have notified them. Thank you for your feedback.

F: 16114
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support