Feature Request - Easier access to setting notifications

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jfuex

Feature Request - Easier access to setting notifications

Post by jfuex » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:32 am

I *FINALLY* upgraded from version 5.x (I know, I know) and love the new notifications feature. I do have a suggestion to make it easier to use though...

It would be really nice if either in the vault client or Visual studio you could right click a folder or item and add/remove an explicit notification on that item. The most common usage scenario where I would see us using the notifications is when we see a file we want to edit is checked-out exclusively and want to add a notification on it so we know when it is checked back in and available for another developer to work on.

Thanks!

lbauer

Re: Feature Request - Easier access to setting notifications

Post by lbauer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:35 am

It would be really nice if either in the vault client or Visual studio you could right click a folder or item and add/remove an explicit notification on that item.
Good idea! I've logged work item 17426 for this functionality, and we'll consider it for a future release.

Thanks for your feedback. :D
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

SlyW

Post by SlyW » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:27 am

Lo and behold - a colleague and I were just discussing how fabulous this idea would be (right-click --> Subscribe/Unsubscribe Notification). Any update on work item 17426?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:43 pm

The specific work item 17426 has not been put in, but you can be notified on changes. You can either go to the Vault options from inside the Visual Studio Tools - Options - Source Control or you can open Vault and go to Tools - Options. Then expand notifications and turn on either email or application notifications, and expand further so you can enter in the parent folder that you wish to watch. It's not possible to put in one file only. You don't need to set actions for that path.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

SlyW

Post by SlyW » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Hi Beth!

I am able to select a single file through the Vault client under Tools --> Options --> Notifications --> Source Code Control --> Watched Repository Paths. Notifications for the particular file are what get sent to my email.

Installing a local version of Vault Standard and interrogating the tblwatchers table, I see that watches can be set on individual files (based on objid). Perhaps there are other machinations at work, but any chance I could sub-hook the right-click menu in the client and add my own actions to add/remove entries from the tblwatchers table.

Thoughts?

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:31 pm

I stand corrected on the paths.

On the right-click menu, I can put in a feature request and the developers would review it.

F: 18472, 18473
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

SlyW

Post by SlyW » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Thanks Beth! You're the greatest!