Vault Standard Client very slow

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

thom

Vault Standard Client very slow

Post by thom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:19 am

Hello

I am using Vault Standard 6.1.0 (531) and having a problem that it is very slow when I perform certain operations. It seems to be when it is refreshing the status between the working folder and the database and often windows reports it as "not responding". When I hit F5 for refresh it now always takes up to 3 or more minutes. What I found was that if removed all the working folder associations then I don't have this issue (refresh in 2 seconds or so). We have about 70 engineers at our company and a handful of them are having this problem though quite a few are not. This makes me think the issue is on the client side and not the server.

Do you have any way I could debug this?

Thom
Thom Allen

Beth

Re: Vault Standard Client very slow

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:00 am

Can you tell me the size of your Vault database files? Those would be the sgvault.mdf and sgvault_log.ldf.

Is the OS of the users who have slowness different than the users that don't have slowness?

How many check outs do the users that have slowness have compared to the users who don't have slowness?

Something that will help performance for everyone will be to perform SQL maintenance. We have a KB article posted here with recommendations: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2924. Make sure you have this maintenance covered.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

thom

Post by thom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:42 am

Beth
We have a very big database. Its 625Gb.
What I now notice is that it seems to be related to one specific repository. I tried an other computers and with other logins and it does the same thing. Basically one repository is now unusable where the others are fine. Any operation takes several minutes. F5 locks up the application which says not responding and only comes back after server minutes. One core of the CPU on the client machine maxes out during this time.

This fairly urgent as we can't really do version control on projects in this repository now.

I ran all three SQL maintenance scripts you suggested yesterday but this has not improved the issue.

Thom

PS are you the same Beth you helped us recover our corrupted database earlier this year?
Thom Allen

thom

Post by thom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:03 am

Beth

OK problem solved. Seems some people (including me) turned on an option called "Show non-version-controlled files ghosted in file list". I guess this makes sense if its rescanning the C: drive after every operation. Maybe you should let people know that this option should be used with care. Turning this off, and now Vault is working fine.

Thanks
Thom
Thom Allen

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:13 pm

Thanks for the update.
PS are you the same Beth you helped us recover our corrupted database earlier this year?
There's only one Beth here, so yes.
Beth Kieler

thom

Post by thom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:22 pm

Beth, I am updating you as I think you should also speak to your developers or at least send our a message to let people know about the danger of using this option. This cost our company many hours of lost time before we finally debugged this issue on our own. There is no indications anywhere to let you know what Vault is doing other than having a locked up application.
Thom Allen

BSayatovic

Post by BSayatovic » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:44 pm

thom wrote:Beth

OK problem solved. Seems some people (including me) turned on an option called "Show non-version-controlled files ghosted in file list". I guess this makes sense if its rescanning the C: drive after every operation. Maybe you should let people know that this option should be used with care. Turning this off, and now Vault is working fine.

Thanks
Thom
WOW! I was working with a colleague a few weeks ago trying to find out why his system was so slow. We din't find a cause, but while there, I noticed the "ghosted files" which I had never used. I turned it on one Friday before I left.

I guess I forgot about that being a potential cause when I started having performance problems the following Monday. I mean TERRIBLE performance. Like, "I might as well go to lunch while Vault refreshes the screen" slow.

Thom, your post reminded me. I just turned it off. Performance is back to normal.

Linda, is there anything that can be done to that feature to speed it up?

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:40 pm

I'll be looking into this and will post back when I know a little more.
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 am

Do you have just ghosted files on or ghosted folders on or both?
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:28 pm

I've ran several tests and can't recreate the issue, but I am logging a bug to see if the developers can find anything.

F: 17798
Beth Kieler