Move Vault standard to a new web server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

drhdrhdrhdrh

Move Vault standard to a new web server

Post by drhdrhdrhdrh » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:11 am

Apologies if this a well-trodden topic and I just couldn't find the right search terms...

I need to move Vault from the existing web server to a different one. The database server (a different machine) will remain the same. I am not yet sure what IIS version will be on the new server.
Based upon posts I found from many years ago, the procedure is to uninstall completely and then re-install to the new server, after appropriate SQL backups for safety. The original Vault data will remain unaffected by the move.

Can you confirm that this is the recommended procedure, and point me to any documentation you may have?

Thanks!

lbauer

Re: Move Vault standard to a new web server

Post by lbauer » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:19 am

the procedure is to uninstall completely and then re-install to the new server, after appropriate SQL backups for safety. The original Vault data will remain unaffected by the move.
This is basically the process. It would help to know what version of Vault you are using and what OS the server is on currently. Also, what OS are you moving the server to? Will you be upgrading Vault in the process?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

drhdrhdrhdrh

Post by drhdrhdrhdrh » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:50 am

Thanks for the info:
we are using Vault 6.1.0(531)
the current server and the target server are both running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
It looks like they are both running IIS 7

If there is a vault version we can upgrade to then it makes sense to upgrade now... could you tell me if there is a version I can upgrade to?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:20 pm

The reason I asked is because sometimes users on an old Vault version want to upgrade, but their current OS doesn't support the newer versions of Vault. So they have to upgrade part way on one system and the rest of the way on the new system.

Since you're on fairly new software, you don't have that problem. You can uninstall Vault Server on the old Windows 2008 server and reinstall on the new server, pointing to the database location.

The latest Vault version is 7.1. It's a free upgrade if you have maintenance, or you can pay the upgrade fee to upgrade your licenses. Contact sgstore at sourcegear.com for details.

The release notes are here:
http://sourcegear.com/vault/releases/vaultstd/7.0.html
http://sourcegear.com/vault/releases/vaultstd/7.1.html

And here's an installation guide:

http://sourcegear.com/vault/documentati ... index.html
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

drhdrhdrhdrh

Post by drhdrhdrhdrh » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks, all done now... The one item that threw me during initial install came back and threw me again until I searched my email from a year ago and found that one needs to open a command window as Administrator and run the vault installer from that window in order to get past the bit where the installer tries to open SQL connections using the machine name as the windows account name... but once I found that little nugget everything went just fine.

Regards...

drhdrhdrhdrh

Post by drhdrhdrhdrh » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:02 am

Actually there is one remaining issue: I cannot seem to find how to point the VS2012 Vault plugin at the new server. The vault client login has a server entry that I simply edited, but the VS2012 vault plugin keeps looking at the old server and I cannot find the place where that server setting is maintained... Please can you tell me where that would be?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:32 am

It depends on what integration plugin you're using and what type of project it is.

You could try unbinding and rebinding your project.

First, open your solution. If you are using the Vault Enhanced Client integration, use the menu item "Change Vault Bindings" in Visual Studio under File->Source Control. This will give you an unbind dialog where you can remove the bindings. After you unbind, "save all" to save your unbound solution and project files. Then, in the Change Source Control dialog, click Bind. You should get a Connect to Server dialog and then you can log into the correct Vault server and find the repository location of your project. Click on the correct folder in Vault, and then click OK to bind.

If you are using the Classic Client integration, look under File->Source Control->Change Source Control in Visual Studio to get the bindings dialog.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

riham

Post by riham » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:27 am

How do you execute a checkout from the command line?
We offer up to date 300-101 dumps exam practice questions with self pass4sure.co.uk test engine to help you pass flsouthern.edu exam.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:52 pm

We have documentation and examples posted in the following locations.

Examples of Common Command Line Commands: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=15235
Documentation of Vault CLC commands: http://download-us.sourcegear.com/misc/ ... nt/clc.htm

Your basics are
vault checkout <login information> <path>
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support