Allow Multiple Users to check out a file

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

btd

Allow Multiple Users to check out a file

Post by btd » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:01 am

We are on Vault 7.1 and we use Visual Studio.
Is there a way that we can configure Vault so that more than one user can check out a file at the same time?

Thanks

btd

Beth

Re: Allow Multiple Users to check out a file

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:37 pm

The way to get multiple users to check out a file is to not use exclusive locks.

1) Make sure the require exclusive locks is turned off in the Vault admin web page in the repository settings.
2) Have users go to Tools - Options - General and uncheck "Always request exclusive lock."

This works only on mergeable files (non-binary). Some file types are not mergeable, and those types can only be checked out by 1 user at a time.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

btd

Post by btd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:35 am

Is this feature new in 7.1 or has it been around for awhile?

Thanks

btd

Post by btd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:44 am

Spoke to soon.
I logged on to the Vault Admin site and found the switch "Always request exclusive lock" NOT to be checked for the project in question.
Yet when one developer checks out the project or solution file or just a regular class file, file in Visual Studio, other's can't.
Is there something else I am missing?
Thanks

Tom

btd

Post by btd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:59 am

Never mind. I figured it out.
We'll test this week and let you know how it goes no non binary files.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 am

Sorry, I was working on my answer as you were posting.

Exclusive locks have been around a long time. I know it's at least been around since 2004. Since you never knew about it, then it might not be very obvious. I'll put this on my list of things to look into.

In the meantime, feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Checking out a project or a solution file behaves a little differently than other files. In order for a file to allow multiple check outs it needs to be mergeable. The mergeable file list is found in the Vault admin web page under each repository in the link File Types. You can edit those lists, but some file types should never be added.

Even though it's not standard practice, some users have added their project file types to the list, such as csproj, and had no problems with it. The solution file (sln) should never be added to that list. Even though it's a text file, performing a merge on it often breaks it. That is documented by Microsoft as well: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee817677.aspx (look under 'Checking Out Solution Files').
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

btd

Post by btd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:47 am

Excellent. Many thanks.
We'll follow your best practices.
Thanks