Vault 7.1 Slowing Visual Studio 2012?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

BSayatovic

Vault 7.1 Slowing Visual Studio 2012?

Post by BSayatovic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 am

We recently upgraded to Vault 7.1 The client I have installed is 7.1.0 (2028).

Since I've installed it, I've been having terrible slow downs in Visual Studio 2012. For example, making a no-op change to a source file and saving it takes ~10 seconds. For a file to save: 10 seconds. During this time varying between, Visual Studio is showing an animated save icon in the status bar and just freezing (UI thread hung?).

If I make Visual Studio's Vault integration go offline, it's fine. Files save so quick you never even get a chance to see the save icon in the status bar.

I used SysInternals ProcMon to monitor the Visual Studio process and have found that devenv.exe seems to me walking my other Vault projects. For example, I have ProjectA open in Visual Studio. When I save, ProcMon shows access to the one file I modified in ProjectA, but also a huge series of access to files in ProjectB. Each one is a "CreateFile" , a "QueryNetworkOpenInformationFile", and a "CloseFile".

My vault state is set to be local to the project folder, so with all of my changes checked in, I deleted the _sgbak and _sgvault folders from my local project and used the Vault Client to Get Latest, forcing overwrite. A clean baseline. I opened the solution, made a no-op change and save... 10+ second delay again.

This is absolutely unusable! What can I do?

BSayatovic

Re: Vault 7.1 Slowing Visual Studio 2012?

Post by BSayatovic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:44 am

I did some further investigating and found that all of the other files being scanned are pending changes in other projects. I have a lot of pending changes in other projects in the same repository for reasons* I'll explain below.

Once I got rid of those pending changes (or, at least, the majority of them), my saves are now very fats and ProcMon shows far less extraneous file access (just those few other pending changes I didn't get rid of).

Is there anything that can be done in the Vault Plugin for Visual Studio so that it doesn't scan pending change files outside of the solution at hand?

* Why did I have so many pending changes? I've had this happen before and apparently happened again: Vault all of a sudden tells me I've made a bunch of local changes to dozens or hundreds of files that I've never touched.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:00 am

When you open a project, how do you open it? If you're using the Open From Vault function every time, then Vault will touch all the files when opening. After the first time opening a project, you should use either the recent projects or open the .sln from your hard drive.

Are some projects shared between solution files?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

BSayatovic

Post by BSayatovic » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:15 am

Beth wrote:When you open a project, how do you open it? If you're using the Open From Vault function every time, then Vault will touch all the files when opening. After the first time opening a project, you should use either the recent projects or open the .sln from your hard drive.
I'm opening the solution (*.sln) directly from the file system. In fact, even when I do get a project/solution for the first time, I use the full Vault Client to bring it the file system and then open the solution from the file system. I've never tried the "Open From Vault".
Beth wrote:Are some projects shared between solution files?
No, these projects aren't shared. I do think there could be a third party component DLL we have checked into a common folder (e.g. $/Lib/SomeVendor/SomeLibrary.dll) and that might be shared into multiple projects. But, FWIW, that file is NOT one of the files that was being scanned.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:12 am

* Why did I have so many pending changes? I've had this happen before and apparently happened again: Vault all of a sudden tells me I've made a bunch of local changes to dozens or hundreds of files that I've never touched.
I think we should find what is causes those extra changes first.

Are you using CVS mode or VSS mode?

Do the pending changes that you didn't cause to happen directly occur every time you open a project?

Do you have your working folders on your own local machine, or are they pointing to a network drive?
Beth Kieler

pierre-chew

Post by pierre-chew » Tue May 06, 2014 10:58 pm

Hello,

Was there a resolution to this? I am having the same exact problem. Ever since I upgraded to 7 using the Vault client within Visual Studio 2012 IDE is completely unbearable. If go offline, everything is fast again.

Any suggestions?

Pierre

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 07, 2014 9:02 am

In the previous user's case, it appears to be the number of check-outs that need to be scanned. Do you have thousands of check outs?

Is the Vault GUI client just as slow or is it faster?
Beth Kieler