Branching

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mmcfadden

Branching

Post by mmcfadden » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:34 pm

I would like to branch a directory with no history.
Alternatively, how could I remove all history for an existing directory.

Beth

Re: Branching

Post by Beth » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Do you mean the directory you are branching from doesn't have history or you don't want the branch to have history?

It's not possible to remove history from a directory. As a work around, you could delete an item and then add a new copy and it will be a new object that starts at version 1. The data is still in the database though, unless you use obliterate.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

mmcfadden

Post by mmcfadden » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:10 am

The directory I am branching has history and I want to remove it for the entire branch.

My solution was to rebuild the entire source tree (delete and re-add) rather than branch from a previous version. Very time consuming for larger projects...

I wanted to have a separate copy with no history so that I can finally obliterate previous versions. of the code that have been carried forward. If I have 5 versions of a large product that have all been branched from the same base, then I can delete the copies, but I can not obliterate the copies from the database. For example:

original version 1.0
branched to 1.1
branched to 1.2
branched to 1.3
branched to 1.4

I can remove the previous versions (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3), but I can not obliterate them from the database because each version is carrying history from the previous version. After a certain point in time I no longer need the history so I was looking for a way to remove the history so that I can remove the previous versions from the database. Is there any other way that I can obliterate the previous versions or the history linking them together? Also, moving forward, is there any other way to make a pure copy (no history) outside of having to manually re-add every file?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:16 pm

The solution you are currently using would probably be the best route.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support