Toolbox location Not Saving

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

aggdev

Toolbox location Not Saving

Post by aggdev » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Visual Studio 2010 does not remember the location of the "Vault Pending Changes" toolbox/window (or the Notifications window). This computer ran Vault Classic Client (5.1, 6.1, and is currently running 7.1). When I switched over to Vault Enhanced Client, that is when the location saving of the toolboxes are lost. If I switch back the the classic client, the functionality works. This problem only occurs on one of three workstations. The other workstations without this problem started on Vault 7.1.

Is there any easy fix to have VS2010 remember the location of the Vault Enhanced Client toolbox locations? I have not tried an uninstall/reinstall yet as I am hoping for a simply registry edit. Any advise or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

aggdev

Beth

Re: Toolbox location Not Saving

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:46 am

The other workstations without this problem started on Vault 7.1.
Is this saying that those without the problem did start having the issue on Vault 7.1, or does it continue to only be an issue with one workstation?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

aggdev

Post by aggdev » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:07 am

Beth wrote:
The other workstations without this problem started on Vault 7.1.
Is this saying that those without the problem did start having the issue on Vault 7.1, or does it continue to only be an issue with one workstation?
My apologies for the ambiguity. The problem is with only one workstation.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:02 am

When you switched to the Enhanced Client, were you switching projects that others are using with the Classic Client?

Did you unbind the project from the Classic Client first, and then bind it to the Enhanced Client and check in the changes?

Are you docking the Pending Changes window or just have it undocked and free-floating?
Beth Kieler

aggdev

Post by aggdev » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:50 am

Beth wrote:When you switched to the Enhanced Client, were you switching projects that others are using with the Classic Client?
I had been the sole 'Classic Client' user and before going into a multi-user environment, I wanted to put the enhanced client in place first. I have a home laptop I do occasional development with, so it was used with the Classic Client ... Since the Enhanced Client switch over, the laptop properly saves window location for the SGV components.
Beth wrote:Did you unbind the project from the Classic Client first, and then bind it to the Enhanced Client and check in the changes?
I performed the Unbind / Save All / Change to the Enhanced Client / Save All (I think this save all was unnecessary) / Re-Bind / Check-In procedures for all of the solutions. After opening the converted solutions, I see the Enhanced client is selected as last saved. I can reproduce the problem by doing the following:
1) Open VS2010.
2) Open the Vault Pending Changes window and relocate / resize or dock
3) Close VS2010.
4) Open VS2010 -- The placement in step 2 is not saved.

If I change the client back to Classic Client and repeat the same steps, step (4) produces the saved window location.
Beth wrote:Are you docking the Pending Changes window or just have it undocked and free-floating?
I have tried docked (preferred) and free-floating with the same results.

Please let me know if I can provide further details or visually document the behavior (i.e. screenshots or videos).

Thank you!

aggdev

Post by aggdev » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:39 am

Some additional information ...

It almost appears that the SGV windows are not being created by Visual Studio when it is initially launched. If I open a solution that has bindings to the Enhanced Client the "Vault Pending Changes" do not appear. However, if I enter debug mode, the SGV windows appear. When I am done debugging and Visual Studio returns back to design mode, the SGV windows now appear in their 'default' location (as seen on a new install). After changing the location of the SGV windows in both design and debug modes and exiting VS cleanly, I am sad to report that neither mode properly save the window location.

I will try to see if I can isolate this to user settings vs system settings and try to log in as a different user to see if the problem persists. If you have other recommendations or ideas, I would still appreciate your expertise!

aggdev

Post by aggdev » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:14 am

Solution found ...
I was able to isolate the problem to the user I am currently logging in to. In VS 2010, Tools->Import / Export Settings, I backed up my settings and then issued a "reset all settings" from the same dialog. This did not correct the problem. I then went command line and executed "devenv.exe /resetuserdata". This corrected the problem. I then restored my settings and everything is working great.

Thank you for your time!

aggdev

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:26 am

Thank you for the update. I'm happy to hear you're working again.
Beth Kieler