vault has ground to halt

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

philm

vault has ground to halt

Post by philm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:38 am

We have been using vault 5.0.3 (18802) for years.
With the last week it has become very slow. Today it has become unusable for operations that update the database. A simple "share" of a file version took an hour.

I have noticed that we started getting "--()-- Exception in plugin thread : Unable to connect to the remote server" in the log last week. I will check with our network guys tomorrow to see if any changes were made then.

Any ideas on what is going wrong? (The server has been rebooted a few time in the last 2 days)

thnx
Attachments
log.zip
tail of log. removed login/logout records before problem started
(13.56 KiB) Downloaded 411 times

Beth

Re: vault has ground to halt

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:43 am

Check the space available on the server. Do all the drives, including the C drive have sufficient space?

How large are you database files? Those files are sgvault.mdf, sgvault_log.ldf, sgmaster.mdf, and sgmaster_log.ldf.

Check your Event Viewer logs for errors in the past week. Do you see anything? If you'd like, you can post or send (support at sorucegear.com) your Event Viewer logs.

What operating system is the Vault server installed on?

What version of SQL Server are you using, and is it on the same machine as the Vault server or a different machines?

Were any Windows updates installed in the last 2 weeks?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

philm

Post by philm » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:19 am

Check the space available on the server. Do all the drives, including the C drive have sufficient space?
c: 49.5GB free / 465GB drive
d: 160GB / 465GD

How large are you database files? Those files are sgvault.mdf, sgvault_log.ldf, sgmaster.mdf, and sgmaster_log.ldf.
sgvault.mdf 30,763,200 KB
sgvault_log.ldf 4,715,200 KB
sgmaster.mdf 2,240 KB
sgmaster_log.ldf 526,336 KB

Check your Event Viewer logs for errors in the past week. Do you see anything? If you'd like, you can post or send (support at sorucegear.com) your Event Viewer logs.

I can see the errors actually started occurring @ 6:57 on 8Apr14. The source is VaultEmailChecker.exe and the description is........
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( VaultEmailChecker.exe ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Uneven size in DecodeToStream..

I'll try and turn this off and see if problem goes awy. this program is a plugin that sends emails when selected files are editied.

What operating system is the Vault server installed on? Windows Server 2003 R2

What version of SQL Server are you using, and is it on the same machine as the Vault server or a different machines? SQL Server 2005 on the same machine. (9.0.5057)

Were any Windows updates installed in the last 2 weeks?
updates were installed yesterday after problems were occurring. previous updates were applied on 7Jan14

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:29 am

I think taking a closer look might help. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?

One of the things I plan on having you try is shrinking the sgmaster_log.ldf, but I have very specific instructions I want you to follow for that. I'll send the details once I receive an email from you.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support