Edit on Exclusive locked file removes write protection.

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

JLolck

Edit on Exclusive locked file removes write protection.

Post by JLolck » Thu May 22, 2014 6:11 am

I have a problem with exclusive locked files.

If someone select Edit on a file checked out exclusive by someone else the write protection is removed from the file and you are allowed to edit it.

When you return to vault the file shows as renegade.

Brgds
Jakob Lolck

Vault version 7.1.0 (2028)

jclausius

Re: Edit on Exclusive locked file removes write protection.

Post by jclausius » Thu May 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Jakob,

When the "Edit" command is invoked, it tells Vault I want to edit the file no matter what. The Developer Style mode of "Check Out/Edit/Check In" will try to check out the file, but regardless if the check out succeeds or fails, the Edit command still instructs Vault the file will be edited locally. That is why you see the read only attribute removed.

If this is causing problems, you may want to try to use the "Check Out" command instead. Using Check Out will not remove the read only attribute in the case of failure. Upon a successful check out, you could then configure Vault to use the double click as a way of editing the file.

Another option (assuming these are text based files) is to remove the exclusive lock requirement and let Vault handle the merging of changes using the auto-merge feature.

HTH
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

JLolck

Post by JLolck » Fri May 23, 2014 2:40 am

Hi.

I do not agree.

If I try to edit a exclusive checked out file, I would not expect to be able to edit it or at least have a warning.

We use exclusive locks for non merge-able files (excel, word etc) and it makes no sense to allow the user to edit these files if some one else has the lock.

Why have exclusive locks if the user is still allowed to edit the files?

Brgds
Jakob lolck

Thomas Linder Puls

Post by Thomas Linder Puls » Fri May 23, 2014 3:47 am

Hi, Jeff.

In a version control system in "Check Out/Edit/Check In" mode, why should the command "Edit" mean "Edit no matter what"?

I believe it is quite natural to assume that it refers to the "Edit" in "Check Out/Edit/Check In".

From the question you can see that the problem only concerns exclusively locked files, so talking about non-exclusive locks is not really addressing the problem.

It is possible to apply other work flows to ensure that editing only takes place when the file can be checked-out, but your suggestions seems a bit cumbersome and non-obvious. I guess that vault is supposed to help us work efficient, not just to make it possible to work.
Thomas Linder Puls
Visual Prolog www.visual-prolog.com

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri May 23, 2014 7:58 am

I wasn't clear on the meaning of my post. It was meant to be an explanation of the feature, describing what happens when you invoke the command and the reasons behind that behavior. From the design specs, exclusive locks are set on a file to prevent other changes from being committed to a repository, not from keeping people from editing files. Again, I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but rather this is how the feature was originally designed.

Both you and Thomas have valid points. I don't believe I've seen a feature request for a change in behavior, but I'll create one and add these notes to the request.

F: 17692
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Thomas Linder Puls

Post by Thomas Linder Puls » Tue May 27, 2014 6:51 am

Thank you.
Thomas Linder Puls
Visual Prolog www.visual-prolog.com

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue May 27, 2014 7:38 am

You're welcome.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear