Reopen or Shell operation warning

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

peteO

Reopen or Shell operation warning

Post by peteO » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:59 am

Working in Visual Studio 2012 when I try to check-out or check-in a form I get the warning from Source Contol that "Some reload or shell operations were canceled or cause errors. You should close and reopen the solution...". I only get this warning if the file I am checking in or out is also open in the designer. I am working with Vault version 5.1.2.

Beth

Re: Reopen or Shell operation warning

Post by Beth » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Visual Studio 2012 isn't supported with Vault 5.x, so that might be a factor in the error you are receiving.

Is upgrading to a supported version an option for you?

Was this solution working in VS 2012 and Vault 5.x previously?

Do other users have the same problem?

When you open the project initially are some projects not loaded?

Are you using the Vault Classic Client or Vault Enhanced Client inside of Visual Studio? If you're not sure, go to Tools - Options - Source Control - Plugins. All users should be using the same plugin on the same projects.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

peteO

Post by peteO » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Beth,

Thank you for your reply.

This project was working just fine until recently. There is another person working on this projects and he is not having this issue.

Upgrading to a newer version of Vault is not a likely remedy at this time.

It is a single solution with a single project and everything seems to load properly.

We are using the Standard Classic Client.

I only get this issue if one of the forms (Silverlight 5) is being viewed in the designer. Close the designer window and the problem goes away. Doesn't matter what form.

I am about to try un-installing and re-installing VS to see if that helps, unless you have something else for me to try?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:31 pm

When you are checking this, are there any pending adds or changes in your Pending Changes window?

Does the other user see the designer files in his project?

I'm working on seeing if I can reproduce this. What OS is your client on?
Beth Kieler

peteO

Post by peteO » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:52 pm

Beth,

No, there are no updates/changes pending. I can simply right click the file and select Check-Out or Check-In. There does not have to be any changes. This makes me suspect Visual Studio is the root of the problem.

Yes, the other developer sees but does not experience the same warning when checking this item in or out.

We are using Windows 7 version 6.1.7601 service pack 1 build 7601

Withing Visual Studio 2012, this is a Silverlight5 project.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Close Visual Studio and try accessing the same files in the Vault GUI client instead. Are you able to check out from there?
Beth Kieler

peteO

Post by peteO » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:49 am

Beth,

I need to clarify just a bit... The files seem to check out/in and changes appear to be saving as well, I just get this warning every time there is a check in/out which is annoying. That and I am afraid that I may end up losing some changes at some point and not knowing when or where is concerning to say the least.

To answer your question, yes, I am able to check out/in these files from the Vault GUI without getting any errors or warnings.

peteO

Post by peteO » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:11 am

Beth,

I tried Repairing VS2012 and that failed. I uninstalled and re-installed VS2012 and the problem persists. I am out of ideas.

Your best suggestion?

Pete

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:51 pm

Try in this order.

1) Uninstall your Vault GUI client.
2) Repair or reinstall Visual Studio.
3) Install Vault.

Then let me know your results.
Beth Kieler

peteO

Post by peteO » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:48 am

Beth.

I followed your suggested steps and the problem persists.

My IT dept has ordered a new Solid State disc drive and will re-image my system next week. I'll let you know the result of that.

peteO

Post by peteO » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Beth,

One more piece of the puzzle, i DO NOT get the error in a VS 2012 Windows app, ONLY in a Silverlight5 app. and only when the xaml file is in the designer.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:40 pm

Since no other developer has the same issue, is there anything different about the machine you use versus what he uses?

Compare the bindings you both have set in the File - Source Control - Change Source Control. Are there any differences in how it's bound?
Beth Kieler

peteO

Post by peteO » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Our computers are virtually identical except he was upgraded to a solid state disc drive 2 weeks ago and I will be getting one next week.

Bindings appear to be the same allowing for differences for the user specific items.

I'm sure it is likely to be a setting on my computer, but I have not found what that might be.

We did change a couple of setting (i don't remember what of couse) that seemed to resolve the issue for a couple of days, but it came right back. (perhaps I didn't have a xaml file in the designer)

peteO

Post by peteO » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:30 am

Beth,

After installing a new hard drive and all my software, this problem has been resolved.

Thank you so much for all your help and ideas.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Thank you for the update.

Just in case the error is related to some settings or special order of steps, it might be good to make sure you have regular restore points happening on your machine.
Beth Kieler