How to restore a folder from a database copy

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dave7

How to restore a folder from a database copy

Post by dave7 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Vault Standard 7.2.1
We have a situation where we appear to have lost some versions in a given folder somehow...
The files aren't deleted, they just don't have the versions that were checked in yesterday.
I don't understand how it could have happened...

We plan to restore a sql backup of the 4 vault databases to an alternate location.

Once I have the vault databases restored to this alternate location, how can I get a specific folder tree out of it?
How can I connect to it without disrupting our existing vault setup?
Can I get the files directly from the database?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Beth

Re: How to restore a folder from a database copy

Post by Beth » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:10 am

First, let's see what happened to the check in.
  • 1) Find the Vault Server Log on the Vault server at %windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log. You can either post the log here (can delete later) or send it in an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread. Any errors in that log may indicate what happened.

2) Have the user(s) that should have checked in those versions check their Pending Change Set window. If the file is sitting there with edits, then it wasn't pushed to Vault. Have the user try checking in again and then have them look at their Messages window to make sure it didn't have an error. If it did, let me know the error.
On the idea of restoring your database to a different location and pulling over versions, that can be performed in a manual fashion.
  • 1) Restore database and then install the Vault server software to use that restored database.

2) Use your Vault Windows GUI client, connect to the production server and check out the files that need versions added.

3) Then you can use the Vault client to connect to the restored version. Perform a Show History on the file missing versions, and perform a Get on the oldest missing version and drop it onto the checked out file.

4) Connect back to the production server and you should see the file listed as edited. Check it in.

5) Repeat steps 2-4.
Overall I'd recommend we troubleshoot first before restoring the database. A file shouldn't just be missing versions.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support