Branching a project for a new solution...

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

samvan

Branching a project for a new solution...

Post by samvan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:34 pm

... (subject continues) using different .NET framework versions.

Hi,

I have a solution targeting .NET 4.0 with a few class library projects (services + data access) in it. The solution is an ASP.NET web form application.

I now want to create a new version of the application (a new solution), using Web API and Angular JS, targeting .NET 4.5 (and in the future vNext).

I want to reuse my class library as much as possible, but I also want to use the Async/Await feature only available in .NET 4.5 - so I need to update the data access class library and the services that make use of the data access library, too.

The way I'm thinking about doing is I need to create a new solution, and add the class library projects from the old solution to the new. Then somehow branch the class library projects to target .NET 4.5...

I'm not sure what the best way is to do it... can someone shed some light?

samvan

Re: Branching a project for a new solution...

Post by samvan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:19 pm

I gave it a try, and below is what I did. I don't know if I made any mistake:

Steps I took:
  • created a new solution, and add it to vault
  • used the vault client, branch an existing project into a folder under the new solution
  • used get latest to get a copy of the existing project into the new solution folder on the disk
  • open the new solution, and add the newly branched project
  • change the project to target .NET 4.5
It appears to be working. If you noticed I did something wrong, please let me know. I've never branched a project before.

Beth

Re: Branching a project for a new solution...

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:42 am

Your method should be fine, though you also had the option of branching your entire original solution and making the changes you needed to the branch.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support