Storing non-mergeable text files

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ivanarj

Storing non-mergeable text files

Post by ivanarj » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:46 am

Hi,

We have large auto-generated code file (C#). We do not want Vault to attempt merging the contents of this file.

For non-mergeable files Vault offers an option, called "binary file". However, this is not a binary file!

What I care is how much space will the changes take and how I see the differences. This file is auto-generated VERY often. Currently, Vault successfully stores only the changes to the file (which are not big). If we change it to "binary" file, how is this going to affect the Diff process? Is it going to continue to show and store a nice text-diff or it will revert to some other algorithm?

I've read, that Vault has a so-called binary-diff.
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4306

This is ok for .exe-s, but we don't need binary diff. We need text-diff for this non-meargeable file.

What are we supposed to do?

Beth

Re: Storing non-mergeable text files

Post by Beth » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:34 pm

Can you clarify what you mean by not wanting to merge? Do you mean you don't want the file to merge when you are performing a Get, or do you mean you don't want a merge when checking in? Do you want to enforce exclusive locks so that only one person can work on a file at a time, and then you will never get a Needs Merge status?

Are you wanting to change the properties of the file to binary, or just remove the file extension from the mergeable file list?

On Diff'ing, it doesn't matter if it's binary or not. If the DiffMerge tool can do the compare, it will allow you to perform a Show Differences.

I will have to speak to development about the binary delta you asked about and post back.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

ivanarj

Post by ivanarj » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:36 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

We do not want to merge, because it is an auto-generated code file. Usually the merge dialog pops up when we are trying to check-in. I'm not sure if it wants merge at other times.

Yes, we want exclusive locks, but ONLY for this file.

We cannot remove the file extension from the mergeable file list, because it is .cs :)

On Diff'ing, the question is whether it will do the text-diff or some kind of binary-diff. This is the most important question. Other than this, the "binary" property of the file totally works for us. But we are afraid, that:
1. The file will eat too much DB space (if the diff is not text-diff).
2. The Diff, if it is a binary-diff will look ugly. We certainly need from time to time to look and understand the differences between the versions of the file. That is why we need text-diff with text-diff visualization (which is the standard diff).

In short: Is the "binary" property going to affect the way diff is performed?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:51 am

The binary property won't change how the diff is performed. We use the binary diff Eric was talking about on text files too.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support