Vault 7.2.1 Client connection problem

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

louismccut

Vault 7.2.1 Client connection problem

Post by louismccut » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:45 am

Slowly but surely I'm getting the upgrade to both the Windows server and Vault implemented but have run into another problem.

Server is Windows Server 2012 R2 running SQL Server 2014. Vault is version 7.2.1.

Yesterday I made the changes suggested to the ApplicationPoolIdentity and made sure the pool was set to Integrated Managed Pipeline Mode as per your recommendation. The application pool settings match your screenshot and everything was working fine after th0se changes were made.

This morning, after bringing the server back up from its overnight shutdown, the client is unable to connect to the web page. The error dump screen is long and I could post it if needed, but for now, here is the first part of the message:

Unable to connect to http://10.2.35.5/VaultService. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.

A direct connect to the Vault Service webpage through IE also errors out.

I looked through the forum and found other posts with this error message, but the solutions didn't seem to apply to the new version of IIS and Vault.

Thanks for your continued prompt help with these issues.

Beth

Re: Vault 7.2.1 Client connection problem

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:18 am

If you open a browser on the Vault server and go to http://localhost/vaultservice/index.html, does it come up?

If no page comes up, then open your IIS Manager. Is the website or application pools stopped?

Can you perform an IIS reset by going to Start - Run and typing iisrest?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

louismccut

Post by louismccut » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:52 am

Beth wrote:If you open a browser on the Vault server and go to http://localhost/vaultservice/index.html, does it come up?

If no page comes up, then open your IIS Manager. Is the website or application pools stopped?

Can you perform an IIS reset by going to Start - Run and typing iisrest?
When I try to access vaultservice as above through a browser, I get a (rather useless) exception message:

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I can add the stack trace if that would be helpful. Website and application pools are started and running iisreset made no difference.

The big change made between it working yesterday and not working today was that I promoted the Windows 2012 to be a domain controller, demoted and removed the Windows 2003 server so that it is the only domain controller.

Should I try a re-install of Vault Standard?

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks for the additional information.

The ASP.NET account used to be different on domain controllers. I'm not sure about now though. We have an old archived article about it (http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=201), but I wouldn't try that just yet.

I agree that performing an uninstall (but choose the option to keep the database) and a reinstall would be the next thing to try. When installing, run a command prompt as administrator, and then run the .msi from in there.

If you still have issues after that, then we'll have to look at how asp.net runs on Windows 2012.
Beth Kieler

louismccut

Post by louismccut » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:29 am

I resolved the problem.

I went back and reviewed the SQL services and saw that they had not started. I changed the login accounts, got them to start and Vault is now operational.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the confusion. The Windows error message threw me.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks for the update. I was on the wrong track as well.
Beth Kieler