Add new project to solution in VS - project doesn't commit

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

thniels

Add new project to solution in VS - project doesn't commit

Post by thniels » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:05 am

Consider this scenario:

* I have a solution opened from Vault inside Visual Studio (2013), containing 3 projects
* I add a blank project to my solution inside Visual Studio and add a class to that project
* Then I close my solution

Vault is set up to automatically commit. The newly added project doesn't pop up in Vault, though. In the solution it appears to be offline, e.g. no icons, but it does have a right-click menu allowing me to check-in. Checking in, however, doesn't do anything.

Now I have manually added the project to the solution tree in Vault but when I modify the project content it is not auto committed. It stays in the commit list.

My question is this: Did I click something somewhere to cause this? I don't think I have seen this behaviour before.

- Thomas Nielsen
- Thomas Nielsen

Beth

Re: Add new project to solution in VS - project doesn't comm

Post by Beth » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:51 am

Which version of Vault are you using with VS 2013?

Are you using the Vault Classic Client or the Vault Enhanced Client inside of Visual Studio?

In the Vault Tools - Options - Concurrent Development style, what options are set and are the files set to read-only?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

thniels

Post by thniels » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:14 am

Vault is 7.1.0 (32028) running enhanced mode. Concurrent Development Style is set to VSS style.

Oh, and it is Vault Pro not Std. I hadn't spotted that there is a forum for each.
- Thomas Nielsen

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:05 am

After investigating this, it seems that the auto-commit doesn't apply to the integration. I will log a bug to gray that out and to update the documentation on it.

I can also put in a feature request to add it to the integration if it's possible.

One option you have in Visual Studio is to have it automatically check in everything when it's closed. That setting is in Visual Studio Tools - Options - Source Control - Environment, and it's the second check box item.
Beth Kieler

thniels

Post by thniels » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:32 am

Beth wrote:After investigating this, it seems that the auto-commit doesn't apply to the integration. I will log a bug to gray that out and to update the documentation on it.

I can also put in a feature request to add it to the integration if it's possible.

One option you have in Visual Studio is to have it automatically check in everything when it's closed. That setting is in Visual Studio Tools - Options - Source Control - Environment, and it's the second check box item.
The "Check in everything when closing" option is already checked. I am almost certain that this has worked before: that I have created projects inside solutions and have them check-in without problems. At least, I can't think of me ever doing it anyway differently than what I do now. So, by all means, do put this in as a feature request :-). Manually checking in new files is really quite a dangerous diversion from a proper automatic workflow.

By the way; I just want to make sure we are talking about the same problem. To pin it out:

1) I create a solution
2) It checks in okay
3) I add an additional project
4) I check in the solution

The project in step 3 doesn't appear in Sourcegear. I have to manually run a "Detect new files to add" to catch the project. Right-clicking in the Solution Explorer in VS has a menu to let me check in, but nothing happens when I do.
- Thomas Nielsen

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:57 am

In VS, check your Pending Check ins window. Are files listed there? If so, rather than check in the .sln, you can perform a Commit from the Pending Check ins.

Otherwise we should take a closer look at the issue. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler