Error Enabling "Find in Files" feature

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Thom Tessandori

Error Enabling "Find in Files" feature

Post by Thom Tessandori » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:43 pm

I successfully upgraded our Vault Standard Server from 5.1.2 to 7.2.1. The new feature called "Find in Files" isn't working.

When I attempt to turn this on in the Admin UI ("Source Control Repositories" -> My Repository -> "Find in Files") I get the following in red above the radio buttons:

"An error occurred updating the Find in Files for some repositories. The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive."

In the Vault Client I am getting "An error occurred in Find in Files. Server Error: [3000] - The repository's index status is not currently enabled." Which is expected as I haven't been able to enable this in the Admin console.

May I please have some assistance with this error?

Thanks!

Thom Tessandori

Beth

Re: Error Enabling "Find in Files" feature

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:51 am

The Find in Files error log should be found in C:\Windows\temp\sgvaultindex. Do you have errors in that log? Can you post the log here (you can remove it when troubleshooting is finished)? Or you can email it to support at sourcegear.com.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Thom Tessandori

Post by Thom Tessandori » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:47 am

Thanks Beth.

I was able to find the log files under C:\Windows\Temp\sgvault\sgvaul.log (time/date stamp of today).

Here's a section of the log file for "Find In Files" from this morning:

----9/11/2014 6:40:33 AM admin--50-193-215-126-static.hfc.comcastbusiness.net(50.193.215.126)--SSL Enabled Login
----9/11/2014 6:41:04 AM admin--50-193-215-126-static.hfc.comcastbusiness.net(50.193.215.126)--SSL Enabled An error occurred updating the Find in Files on http://127.0.0.1:443/VaultIndexService/ ... rvice.asmx for Repository Deep. The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
Inner Exception: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
Inner Exception: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
----9/11/2014 6:41:04 AM admin--50-193-215-126-static.hfc.comcastbusiness.net(50.193.215.126)--SSL Enabled at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at VaultPluginClientLib.VaultIndexService.VaultIndexService.ChangeRepositoryIndexState(Guid guidSecurityToken, RepositoryIndexStateChange[] arItems)
at VaultService.Admin.FindInFilesPage._btnSave_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
Inner Exeption Stack Trace: at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead)
Inner Exeption Stack Trace: at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
----9/11/2014 6:41:14 AM admin--50-193-215-126-static.hfc.comcastbusiness.net(50.193.215.126)--SSL Enabled Logout
----9/11/2014 6:41:14 AM --()-- The Plugin at http://127.0.0.1:443/VaultNotifyService ... rvice.asmx was not called with Event Logout. Exception: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
----9/11/2014 6:51:35 AM --()-- The Plugin at http://127.0.0.1:443/VaultNotifyService ... rvice.asmx was not called with Event Login. Exception: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:39 am

On your Vault server, does the URL http://127.0.0.1:443/VaultIndexService/ ... rvice.asmx return a page?
Beth Kieler

Thom Tessandori

Post by Thom Tessandori » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:46 am

Hi Beth - It does not display a page, no. Is there another URL I can try?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:28 pm

You will want to go to the Vault admin web page, click on Vault Plugins, and then edit the URL. You will be changing 127.0.0.1:443 to something that reaches IIS. Use the same thing that you use when connecting with the Vault GUI client or the Vault admin web page.
Beth Kieler

Thom Tessandori

Post by Thom Tessandori » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks Beth - I was able to get that page to come up, called the VaultIndexService Web Service. There are three highlighted links: ChangeRepositoryIndexState, GetRepositoryIndexStatus and PluginTriggerEvent.

What can I check from here?

Thanks!

Thom Tessandori

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Once you have a URL that works, go to the Vault admin web page and edit the URL to be the one that came up for you.
Beth Kieler

Thom Tessandori

Post by Thom Tessandori » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks Beth - Would I replace this under "Admin" -> "Server Settings" -> "Vault Standard Plugins"?

There are five entries, the first three are "True" and the last two are "False".

The first entry reads: "http://127.0.0.1:443/VaultIndexService/ ... rvice.asmx" for the Server URL. Is that what I would replace with the working one (e.g. my working URL is "https://source.amareinc.com/VaultIndexS ... rvice.asmx").

Thanks again for your help.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:39 am

Would I replace this under "Admin" -> "Server Settings" -> "Vault Standard Plugins"?
Yes

So that your Vault server can reach all its plugins, you might replace all the instances of 127.0.0.1:443 in your plugins that are set to True. That way they will all get to the Vault server properly. The ones that are set to False you can ignore.
Beth Kieler

Thom Tessandori

Post by Thom Tessandori » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:26 am

Hi Beth - Thanks for your response. When I attempted to change the URL I received a "500" Error. The error was "Error on request PluginConfiguration.aspx/EditPlugin". Is there a particular order to do these in? I did this with the first one which was "VaultIndexService.VaultIndexService". Here is a screenshot of the error I got.

Thanks for your help.

Thom Tessandori

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:37 pm

Take a look at the Vault Server Log to see if you have an error, or post that log here.

If there isn't any errors in the Vault server log, then go to your IIS Logs (usually in C:\inetpub\logs) and you will find more information on the 500 error. It will be written as 3 numbers. For example, where you see 200 0 0 means a success.

Are you right on the Vault server when you are trying this, or are you accessing the Vault admin web page from a different machine? If it's from a different machine, try it right on the server to see if it will provide more details in the error.
Beth Kieler

Thom Tessandori

Post by Thom Tessandori » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi Beth - . I was making those changes NOT on the server, however when I switched over to access the Admin page via a browser on the Vault Server I was able to change two of the three in question.

I was able to change VaultShadowFolder.VaultShadowFolderService and VaultIndexService.VaultIndexService but was NOT able to change VaultNotifyService.VaultNotifyService.

Here is a section of the log file from those changes. Please review this and let me know if there anything I can do to change the last one and ultimately attempt to turn on "Find In Files" - Thanks!

----9/12/2014 12:48:44 PM admin--source.amareinc.com(10.10.20.20)--SSL Enabled at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
Inner Exeption Stack Trace: at System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.ValidateEvent(String uniqueId, String argument)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.HiddenField.LoadPostData(String postDataKey, NameValueCollection postCollection)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessPostData(NameValueCollection postData, Boolean fBeforeLoad)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
----9/12/2014 12:48:44 PM admin--source.amareinc.com(10.10.20.20)--SSL Enabled System.ArgumentException: Invalid postback or callback argument. Event validation is enabled using <pages enableEventValidation="true"/> in configuration or <%@ Page EnableEventValidation="true" %> in a page. For security purposes, this feature verifies that arguments to postback or callback events originate from the server control that originally rendered them. If the data is valid and expected, use the ClientScriptManager.RegisterForEventValidation method in order to register the postback or callback data for validation.
at System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.ValidateEvent(String uniqueId, String argument)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.HiddenField.LoadPostData(String postDataKey, NameValueCollection postCollection)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessPostData(NameValueCollection postData, Boolean fBeforeLoad)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) at System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.ValidateEvent(String uniqueId, String argument)
----9/12/2014 12:49:13 PM admin--source.amareinc.com(10.10.20.20)--SSL Enabled System.Exception: Could not retrieve the data for this plugin. It cannot be edited.
at VaultService.PluginConfiguration.GetPlugin(String src, String id, String name) at VaultService.PluginConfiguration.GetPlugin(String src, String id, String name)

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:17 pm

I can give you a query to do a direct edit in the database while we take a closer look at what the problem is with updating in the browser. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler

Thom Tessandori

Post by Thom Tessandori » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi Beth - I have sent an email. It's coming from Thom.Tessandori@AmareInc.com.

Thanks again.