Archive/destroy old check-in's

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mgerlach

Archive/destroy old check-in's

Post by mgerlach » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:11 am

We've been using Vault for years. The database is currently at 7.69 GB. I'm wondering if there's a way to kill off old check-in's prior to 2 years ago. By my calcs, this should take our DB down to about 2 GB and make the listings much more managable. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Mark

Beth

Re: Archive/destroy old check-in's

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:27 am

There isn't a way to remove partial history of an item.

Is there some limit that requires you to keep your database smaller than it is?

So that I can recommend a best course of action for you, could you provide some background on why you wish to reduce your database size?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

mgerlach

Post by mgerlach » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:55 am

Other than drive size, there's really nothing prohibiting us from keeping this out there. File backups are an issue as well. Nightly backups of an 8 GB DB are slower and take more space than a 2 GB DB.

More importantly, this is triggered by something I've been seeing on my local PC in VS.NET 2012. For the past three days, adding files to a rather large project we have is taking forever to commit changes/check-ins back to the database. I'm not quite sure what did this. On Monday when this happened for the first time, I had to destroy the Vault_1 folder in my user directory, do an iisreset on the server and then do a get latest before I could get the project compiling again. It might not be related to size, but I figured I'd ask the original question to see if there was a way to do this.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:41 pm

We can go over some things that may help you.

Let's start with improving overall performance.

Make sure you are performing regular SQL maintenance. We have a KB article that explains what you need posted here: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2924.

In addition, we have a KB article on improving the Vault performance overall: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4206.

Some users have reported an increase in performance by 100% or more by even nothing more than a defrag. Don't minimize the importance of good maintenance practices.

Once you have these things in place, send me and email (support at sourcegear.com) with a link to this forum thread and we can discuss other options.

If you have any more problems checking in, let me know.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support