Performance

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jvel

Performance

Post by jvel » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:48 am

Just a quick question. We have noticed Vault slowing down over the past few years, so I'm about to do some investigating. A quick Google found this article:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4206
but it hasn't been updated for years (no mention of SQL Server 2008/2012/2014, for example) and at least one of the links (http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/sysreq.html) is broken.
Is this still the best place to start, or has this article been superseded?
(I did also search on this site for "performance", but had to time to go through the 544 results.)

We are currently using Vault Standard 5.1.2. Have any performance improvements been made in more recent releases?

Just to give you a flavour of the issues I'll be looking at, an operation like this:
vault.exe history "$/Source" -excludeactions label,obliterate -rowlimit 1
can take up to 30 minutes. We're running CCNet, which is continually doing something like this.

Thanks for whatever info you can offer to help my investigations.

Beth

Re: Performance

Post by Beth » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:46 pm

Try making these changes first and then let me know your results: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=22358.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jvel

Post by jvel » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:35 am

Hi Beth,

I have made the suggested changes to sgmaster and sgvault. (Beforehand, sgmaster had auto create statistics and auto update statistics enabled, while sgvault had only auto create statistics. Neither of them had the async option enabled.)

Unfortunately the changes haven't made any noticeable difference to running the History command.

However, a few users have mentioned that performing a branch now takes less than a minute, when previously it would take up to 50 minutes. This is extremely good news for us, if it continues.

Regards,
John

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:48 am

Next on the list for helping performance is to take a look at your SQL maintenance and some of the recommendations for optimal Vault performance.

SQL Maintenance: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2924
Vault Performance: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4206

In addition to various settings for improved performance, users have a lot of control for filtering the history when they perform a Show History. If they don't always need 1000 rows, then how much is returned can be set in the Vault Tools - Options - History/Labels. Also, when performing a Show History, a window will pop up providing options to filter on dates, labels, users, filenames, actions, and comments.

Once you've tried some of the recommendations for maintenance and performance, let me know if your history query is improved.
Beth Kieler

jvel

Post by jvel » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:34 am

Hi Beth,

Quick update:

The changes you suggested (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22358) do seem to have made a significant difference - thanks for that.

About SQL maintenance (viewtopic.php?t=2924), we do indeed perform these operations every weekend.
About Vault performance (viewtopic.php?t=4206), I didn't find anything that we could improve.

I am still needing to seek better performance, so I think my next step is to use Windows Performance Monitor (on both SQL server and Vault server) to see where are the bottlenecks.

I presume there are no performance improvements to be gained by simply upgrading from Vault 5.1 to 8.0? (It's on our to-do list, but never gets to the top.)

Thanks again for your good advice.

John

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:43 am

Do your users use ghosted folders?

Do you have folder security turned on?

Can you give me a list of the exact actions that are slow and how long each takes?
Beth Kieler

jvel

Post by jvel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:56 am

Apologies for the delay, I only just noticed your reply.

We do not use ghosted folders.

We have 11 repositories. Only one of them has folder security enabled.
Only 2 of the repositories are active (one of them being the one with folder security). All the other repositories are legacy and I would gladly delete them if it would make any difference.

I used to hear a lot of complaints about creating a branch taking nearly an hour to perform, but that seems to have been solved. Now most complaints relate to retrieving the history of a file and comparing two items within that history. It's not repeatable though, so I think it depends on what other users (or perhaps our build machines) are doing.

Because my information is so unspecific at this stage, I'm happy for you to close down this topic. I can easily open a new topic when I know more.

Regards,
John

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:24 am

If you have a chance to run a test, try turning off your Folder Security on the repository. Then have a user reopen their client and try running a history query.

Also, look at how many results the users have their history set for. That setting is in the Vault Tools - Options - History/Labels. Try setting the history limit at 1000 or less.

when you know more, feel free to continue this topic.
Beth Kieler