Vault GUI client keeps getting hosed

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mdesksmartin

Vault GUI client keeps getting hosed

Post by mdesksmartin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:51 pm

My vault GUI client keeps putting itself into an unusable state. I have followed the instructions for clearing the various caches and I am then able to use the GUI client for maybe a few weeks and then it will just hang at launch and report itself as "not responding". looking at task manager and resource monitor after it has been open for maybe 20 minutes in the "not responding" state, the exe is using a small but consistent amount of CPU but has no disk or network actiivity.

OS is windows 8.1, vault cient version is 8.0.1. I have reinstalled the vault client and done the cache clearing exercise probably about 4-5 times by now.

Beth

Re: Vault GUI client keeps getting hosed

Post by Beth » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:52 pm

The cache can get into an unstable state if there are network interruptions or anything preventing it from getting updates. The first step to tracking down what is happening is to check the Vault Server Log and then the Vault Client Side Log. If you see any errors in those logs, please post them.

Also, watch for entries of "System Started." Those indicated that the application pools have recycled for some reason. If you have recycling configured for any of your application pools, you will want to remove that. Recycling cuts off the connection to the server while it's happening.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

mdesksmartin

Post by mdesksmartin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:22 pm

My vault client became unusable again today. Looking in the local log as you instructed, there are plenty of exceptions related to something like the following (which to me just looks like it happens when I tried to perform an operation in the client on a file that was open):
The process cannot access the file 'C:\_vault\zzz\project\yyy\somefile.xlsm' because it is being used by another process.
Aside from those messages there are no errors that I can identify. I was using the client successfully for most of the day and then it just stopped working again. I have since relaunched the client multiple times and it just sits there, unresponsive, and no additional messages get written to the log. The last message written to the log was around the time when the client first became unresponsive:
3/11/2015 5:16:53 PM <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:3] After loading from disk on startup, _cmRepository.Repository.Root is null.
at VaultClientOperationsLib.TreeCache.Load()
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.SetActiveRepositoryID(Int32 id, String username, String uniqueRepositoryID, Boolean bUseTreeCache, Boolean bDoRefresh, Boolean updateKnownChangesAll, Boolean bNotifyRepoChgEvents)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.SetActiveRepositoryID(Int32 id, String username, String uniqueRepositoryID, Boolean doRefresh, Boolean updateKnownChangesAll)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ChooseRepository(Boolean forceDialogShow, String inProfile)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.Start()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
On the server side, there are no errors in the log.

For what it's worth, there are 5 other developers on my team and no one else is having this issue. Nothing on my machine or the server has changed recently. Prior to our upgrade to Vault 8, I had never experienced this issue.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:40 am

We'll have to dig a bit deeper into this. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support