How to enable "Find In Files" ?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jvel

How to enable "Find In Files" ?

Post by jvel » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:41 am

Hi all,

We have just upgraded from Vault Standard 5.1 to 8.0. I am trying to explore the new features, but I've stumbled at the first hurdle...

In the client, I get "An error occurred in Find in Files. Server Error: [1101] - The server could not establish a connection to the database. Please check the server's log for detailed information. (FailDBConn)"
There is nothing untoward in the Vault log. There's also nothing in the Windows event log.

I did see in the help file that I need to enable this feature in the Admin Web Client, but those options are all greyed out (in Admin/FindInFiles.aspx).

While perusing for other settings, I've seen that the VaultIndexService is listed in the plugins list (Admin/PluginConfiguration.aspx) and is shown as active.

I guess my question is this: if this feature is non-trivial to set up, is there some documentation to lead me through the process? (And while we're at it, I'll be looking at notifications soon, so if you have any documentation for that...)

Many thanks.

John

jvel

Re: How to enable "Find In Files" ?

Post by jvel » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:50 am

On looking again at VaultService/Admin/PluginConfiguration.aspx, I've noticed that the VaultIndexService is listed more than once.

Once as "http://127.0.0.1/VaultIndexService/Vaul ... rvice.asmx" which is active, and once as
"http://soft06.arden.group/VaultService/ ... rvice.asmx", which was inactive. I have now made it active.

But now browsing to http://soft06.arden.group/VaultService/ ... rvice.asmx
gives me the following error:

Server Error in '/VaultService' Application.
Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.
Source Error:
Line 10: ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.
Line 11: -->
Line 12: <authentication mode="None" />
Line 13:
Line 14: <!--
Source File: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\vaultindexservice\web.config Line: 12

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:39 pm

The first error you are getting isn't something that can be fixed with setting anything up. Not being able to reach the database means there was a problem in the set up of the software. Before I give instructions on what to do with this, are users able to use basic Vault functions?

What is the OS of the machine where you have the Vault 8 server running?

The plugins page is the list of paths that Vault can use when calling these services. You need 1 for indexing, 1 for notify, and 1 for shadow. (Vault Pro users have one more for the vaultproservice.) You only need 1 URL set to true that is also functional for each type. Clicking the magnification icon next to each URL will have it test the URL. If you receive a page back and no errors, then that URL will work if set to True (again, only 1 for each service). Any URLs that don't work can be either set to False, or deleted, or edited to a working URL.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jvel

Post by jvel » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:00 am

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the quick response. Here is the server info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model PowerEdge R710
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz, 2660 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.51 GB
Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 16.7 GB

The databases are on another server.

All the basic Vault functions are fine for all users - they are happily using the functionality that existed in Vault 5.1.

I've realised why the database is unavailable: there was no sgvaultuser (in sgvaultindex > Security > Users). I was assuming that the upgrade which created this database would have done this, but seemingly not.

I do have a script which I need to use to fix up the sgvaultuser after every upgrade (I don't know why) so I adapted it for the two new databases:

USE [sgvaultindex]
EXEC sp_grantdbaccess N'sgvaultuser'
EXEC sp_addrolemember N'db_owner', N'sgvaultuser'
GO
ALTER USER [sgvaultuser] WITH LOGIN = [sgvaultuser], DEFAULT_SCHEMA=[sgvaultuser]
GO

and the same for [sgnotify].

This gets me one step closer. Now the admin options are ungrayed and I have enabled Find In Files for one repository.

The Vault client is showing "The repository's index is currently being built.", which is promising.

When browing to "http://soft06.arden.group/VaultService/ ... rvice.asmx". I was still getting the error "It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level." as mentioned in my previous post. I've realised that this was because the URL was wrong. None of these plugins were added by us, so I suppose they were added wrongly by the installer. Anyway, I've changed it to "http://soft06.arden.group/VaultIndexSer ... rvice.asmx" and I'm seeing a sensible looking page informing me about ChangeRepositoryIndexState, GetRepositoryIndexStatus & PluginTriggerEvent.

I will continue my work when the index is built.

John

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:46 am

Thank you for the update. As far as I can see, you are on the right path.
Beth Kieler

jvel

Post by jvel » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:02 am

FYI, the client is still showing "The repository's index is currently being built.", five days after I enabled it. Is there some way I can work out approximately how far it has to go?

Currently the rep_11_parsedfiles table has 48,905 rows, the rep_11_parsedfilelines has 50,640,225 rows and rep_11_parsedlines has 3,312,710 rows.

There are only 15,000 files in that repo, so I'm surprised to see that it has parsed over 48,000. Surely it's not going to parse the entire 10+ year history?

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:42 am

There is a log file for the indexing in %windir%\temp\sgvaultindex. Open the log file to see where it's at or if there were any errors. Then close it, wait an hour and check it to see if it's continuing to get new entries.

You can also check your Vault server log in %windir%\temp\sgvault to see if it has any errors there.
Beth Kieler