Folder export problem

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mvolkar

Folder export problem

Post by mvolkar » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:09 pm

We have a large Vault repository that contains our core product development as well as many small unrelated projects. Since we (now) know that more, smaller, repositories are preferred, I would like to export some of the folders for the smaller projects from this repository and import them into a new repository. As a first attempt, I chose a specific folder that should have very few changes and attempted to use the Folder Export/Import tool. There are no deleted items in this folder, so I unchecked the Export Deleted Items option and started the export.

I expected this to go quickly, since this folder contains only three files, and one sub-folder with only one file, but that does not seem to be the case. The progress dialog tells me that there are 1300 transactions that need to be retrieved and processed. As each transaction seems to take maybe ten seconds, this means that the export will take several hours to complete for this very small folder. This gives me almost no confidence in being able to successfully export any of the larger folders in this repository.

What I don't understand is why there are 1300 transactions for this export. If I use the GUI client to view the recursive history of this folder, I see only 17 changes. I can only assume that there is some piece of this puzzle that I am missing, but I'd appreciate some feedback here. Should I give up hope in trying to export anything significant from this repository?

In case it matters, we are using version 5.0.0 of Vault.

Beth

Re: Folder export problem

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:05 pm

Is the folder you are trying to export a new folder or has it been there a while and have some history built up?

Were any shares made from this folder?

Were any files moved out of this folder?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

mvolkar

Post by mvolkar » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:32 pm

The folder has been there for a couple of years, but as I said in my original post, the GUI client shows only 17 changes when I do a recursive Show History.

I do not believe that anything from this folder was ever shared to another folder. Certainly nothing in this folder is currently shared anywhere else.

I do not believe that any files were moved out of this folder at any point.

Wouldn't each of these things show up in the recursive history in the GUI client?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:39 pm

It's possible there are transactions acting on the folder you are exporting, but those would show in the parent folder history instead.

I will do a little more digging into possibilities.

Admittedly, Folder Export Import is slow. It won't make export/import impossible.

Some things that can help speed it up is to use the tool right on the Vault server and use localhost to connect to the server. Sending data over the network adds time. Also, making sure you're up on your database maintenance can help (http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2924) as well as defragmenting the disks.
Beth Kieler

mvolkar

Post by mvolkar » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:47 am

In principle, I agree with your suspicion that changes to the parent folders are having an effect on the number of transactions showing in the folder I am trying to export. However, checking the history of all parent folders to the root of the tree shows only about 150 changes, which is obviously nowhere near the 1300 transactions that the export tool is showing me.

I understand that exporting can be slow, but if a folder with 17 changes will take 3 hours to export (and who knows how long to import) then I have serious concerns about the viability of exporting larger folders. While I agree that it may not be technically impossible, it sure seems highly impractical.

Since I would also like to export several other folders, I want to understand how best to streamline the process. I was planning to perform the export/import of some of the larger folders directly on the server, but I honestly did not expect this small folder to give me so much trouble. I may have to rethink my entire approach.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Could I get a closer look at what you have? Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:26 am

I've received the email and will respond there.

HS: 234988
Beth Kieler