Unable to exclude bin folder

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kevinlb

Unable to exclude bin folder

Post by kevinlb » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:27 pm

I've noticed this issue since upgrading to version 8.0. Prior to that we were on version 6 and I don't remember it being an issue then, though I'm not 100% sure of that.

Specifically, even though the file and folder exclusions are set to exclude the bin folder and *.dll I keep running into situations where members of my team have exclusive locks on dlls in the bin folder of our project. I've double-checked the repository settings and even gone through and unchecked the "always request exclusive locks" setting on everyone's client and Visual Studio plugin, but the problem persists.

Right now the only way to get around it is to either have the user check in their bin folder or going to the admin section of the web interface and doing an "undo checkout" operation on the files in question.

Ideally I'd like vault not to pay attention to the bin folder at all, and according to the settings it looks like it shouldn't be tracking that folder. Is there something I'm missing here?

Beth

Re: Unable to exclude bin folder

Post by Beth » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:08 pm

The setting you see in the Vault admin web page that filters out some items is only for adding using the Vault GUI client. One can override it by specifically selecting an item and adding it. It comes into play when you are adding a parent folder to Vault that might contain some subitems you don't want.

When using VS to add items, VS has an algorithm of its own that it uses to determine what goes into source control or not. It then performs a specific call on items it really thinks should be there.

In some projects types you'll have the option to exclude items from source control from inside VS.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

kevinlb

Post by kevinlb » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:21 pm

That explains it! I was able to fix the problem by opening Visual Studio and in Solution Explorer highlighting my bin folder and its contents, then going to File -> Vault Source Control -> Exclude Selection from Source Control.

Thanks for the quick reply, this has been bugging me for months.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:30 am

Thank you for the update.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support