Vault 8 Client Install error

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dbeverl

Vault 8 Client Install error

Post by dbeverl » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:34 pm

I'm upgrading from Vault 5.0.4 to 8.0 and need to have both versions of the client active on the same machine (Windows 8.1) while pointed to their respective servers (on different machines). Following guidance from other posts, I've moved all the files from the Vault 5.0.4 folder to a new folder to avoid the Vault Client 8 installer overwriting them. After moving, I've confirmed that Vault 5.0.4 still works fine. I still cannot install Client 8 into the default folder (or any other folder), even after copying the installer (VaultClient_8_0_1_299.msi) locally to the same machine because I continue to get the following error:

"There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

My login should have admin rights, so what am I missing?

Beth

Re: Vault 8 Client Install error

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Try a fresh download of the Vault 8.0.1 installer directly to the machine. You can get that from our website www.sourcegear.com or from your own Vault server at http://<your Vault server>/vaultservice/index.html.

Then run a command-prompt as administrator. Change directories to the location of the Vault client and run the command:

msiexec /i "vault installer name.msi"

Replace "vault installer name.msi" with the correct installer name.

What are your results then?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

dbeverl

Post by dbeverl » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:16 am

Same exact results. If you would like to see a copy of the error log, please advise on how to send it.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:29 am

Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread and any logs you have?
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:02 pm

email received

HS: 235217
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:37 am

Update on this issue.

One of the other things that can cause the error this user had is if the previous client cannot uninstall itself. One way to check for this is to uninstall the previous client. If it fails, then a manual uninstall needs to be performed. Contact support for manual uninstall instructions.
Beth Kieler

dbeverl

Post by dbeverl » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:44 pm

We are making progress with this process, and realize that a separate step here will be upgrading our Vault 5.0.4 database (multiple repositories) to Vault 8. Here are our sources and targets:

Vault 5.0.4 pointing to SQL Server 2005 instance running on Windows Server 2003.
Vault 8 pointing to SQL Server 2014 Express instance running on Windows Server 2012.

I have read other posts about this subject but nothing exactly matched this, so I'll need to know the steps needed to bring this database to the new environment.

Thanks!

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:22 pm

The short version is
  • 1) Backup your Vault databases
    2) Restore them to the new SQL Server
    3) Install Vault 6.1.0, then Vault 7.2.1, then 8.0.1
More information can be found in these KB articles.
Beth Kieler

dbeverl

Post by dbeverl » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:32 am

I am continuing to have problems upgrading the Vault database. I have backed up the sgVault and sgMaster databases from the old (SQL2005) server and have now restored them to the new (SQL2014) server. Next I'm attempting to perform the upgrades by running the installations of Vault Server 6.1.0, then 7.2.1, and finally 8.0.1. Not getting very far with this....now getting the following message when running the installer for 6.1.0...

Found 'Auto Update Statistics' ON for sgmaster -- setting it to OFF...User does not have permission to alter database 'sgmaster', the database does not exist, or the database is not in a state that allows access checks.

Not sure if I've chosen the correct options.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:12 am

Were you connecting to the SQL Server using Windows authentication or SQL authentication?

Did the account you used to connect to the SQL Server have SQL sysadmin rights? The rights need to be at the same level as 'sa'.
Beth Kieler

dbeverl

Post by dbeverl » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:18 pm

Turns out we had permissions issues with the SA login on the new SQL Server 2014 instance. Hopefully these are resolved now, as I was able to complete the first upgrade from 5.0.4 to 6.1.0.

If I am ultimately upgrading to version 8, and if we have a current Vault Standard Maintenance plan in place, will I need to enter new license keys first before continuing on to the version 7 and 8 installations?

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:46 pm

You only need to enter a license key after you install Vault 8.
Beth Kieler