MSSCCI - setting manually

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

tsprague

MSSCCI - setting manually

Post by tsprague » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 am

I have some co-workers who use a tool that models use cases. It has built in support for source code control for the models, as long as the MSSCCI API is supported in the SCC tool. I configured the tool to work with Vault (and there are claims Vault is supported in the modeling tool).

My issue is that I can get everything working on my computer, but only because I have Visual Studio installed and can coerce Vault into using the MSSCCI API (selected SourceGear Vault Standard Classic Client). The tool seems to pick the fact that Vault supports MSSCCI too. How can I get this to happen on those computers that do not have Visual Studio installed?

Beth

Re: MSSCCI - setting manually

Post by Beth » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:07 pm

We don't test with other products besides Visual Studio and SQL Server Management Studio and have no information on other iterations of MSSCCI. It's possible with some other products to integrate, but not all.

Within the Vault GUI client, try settings Tools -> Options -> General -> 'Make Vault your default SCC provider', click OK on the options dialog, and then try your tool. Does it list the Vault classic client? Note, you may need to run Vault with Administrative privileges.

Normally, MSSCCI works through registry settings in HKLM\Software\(Wow6432Node\)SourceCodeControlProvider\InstalledSCCProviders, and registry entries there. Does the tool have documentation on how it would connect to other SCC tools?

Note, the (Wow6432Node\) values only apply to 64-bit versions of Windows.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

tsprague

Post by tsprague » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:30 pm

No it does not. I looked for some, especially after I read in the release notes that Vault was a supported repository starting with their release in 2009.

I can say that I had the problem our other users are experiencing until I opened Visual Studio and set the source code plug in to the Classic Client. As soon as I did that, the tool (CaseComplete) recognized Vault as a provider and it appeared as a selection on their dialog box. Is there any way to describe where the selection of Classic client winds up being stored - since CaseComplete seems to be able to find it?

See my last entry. Beth's suggestion lead to my solution.
Last edited by tsprague on Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Did you try the Vault option while running the Vault client with administrative privileges? When Vault GUI client attempts to operate on the 'Make Vault your default SCC provider' option, it attempts to change the HKLM values listed above. Starting with Vista and above, that will require admin privileges.

Do you see anything listed in the registry hive key listed in the previous post?

Some of the locations you are looking for can be seen here in this post http://blogs.msdn.com/b/michalma/archiv ... ected=true

The info in this post can be adapted for use with the Vault Standard client.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

tsprague

Post by tsprague » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:26 pm

So I may have it figured out.

After some registry entry analysis, I found a difference under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SourceCodeControlProvider] that I had in a computer that works with CaseComplete and Vault.

The entry that was not present was a string value named "ProviderRegKey" that had the value of SOFTWARE\SourceGear\Vault Client

I exported the SourceCodeContolProvider key so I could script in the entries on the machines where it was not working (on a 64 bit Windows 7 virtual machine) and coupled with the Vault and Case complete installs, it worked perfectly. Thank you for the tip to look under Wow6432Node.

Interestingly, there is a key with the same name (SourceCodeControlProvider) at the same level as Wow6432Node that does have the ProviderRegKey string entry. This must be a 64 bit OS issue?

Thanks again for the help. We'll just have the install team run this script in addition to istalling the applications for the users.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:06 am

Thank you for the update.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support