Windows 10

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

grandavenuesoftware

Windows 10

Post by grandavenuesoftware » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:57 pm

We are running Vault 8.0.1 and are considering upgrading a couple of development machines to Windows 10 as soon as it is released. Will Windows 10 run the client (including Visual Studio integration) correctly? Are you aware of any issues?

Thanks in advance,

John Somsky
Grand Avenue Software

Beth

Re: Windows 10

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:32 pm

We still have testing to do which is going on now. We are aware of Windows 10 and are working on getting support for it.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

ajj3085

Post by ajj3085 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:27 am

Any update on this? I'd like to know as well as we are also planning to jump on Win10.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:49 am

I've been trying things with the client alone so far and haven't seen a problem yet. Haven't tried Visual Studio with Vault on Windows 10. Do you have a particular version of VS you would be using there, or are you wanting to use Windows 10 as a server?
Beth Kieler

ajj3085

Post by ajj3085 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:11 am

I'll be using both VS2013 and 2015 Professional on Win10. Not planning on using it as a server, just a development workstation.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:10 pm

Ok, I'm working on getting VS 2015 for my Windows 10 machine and will let you know my results.
Beth Kieler

jvel

Post by jvel » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:03 am

Hi Beth,

Windows 10 has been out for more than a week. Are you close to making any recommendations for its use?

My experience has not been good. Vault (version 8.0.1.299) is the only application which has behaved worse since my upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10. If you say that this version is supported in Win 10, then I'm happy to supply the details.

John

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:06 am

I've tested out quite a few pieces in the Vault GUI client and it seems to be working fine for me. I'm having some issues with Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 10 with Vault, but I'm still investigating that. I have ran a Vault Server yet on Windows 10.

I would be interested in hearing what you've run into. That will make sure I test the same actions here and get it lined up for fixes.
Beth Kieler

jvel

Post by jvel » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:43 am

Hi Beth,

So on Windows 8.1, Vault was always a little slow starting up - maybe 2 minutes between me choosing a repository and the client being responsive. But immediately after upgrading to Windows 10, the delay is much increased: worse case it takes 40 minutes, best case about 10 minutes. I do intend to upgrade a few other machines here to see whether this issue is specific to my workstation, but for the moment the rest of the development team are simply staying with Win 7 or 8.

I've enabled logging on the client, and I'll be happy to send you the log if you want it.

Regards,
John

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:50 pm

jvel: To see where the slowness may be coming from I'll need to take a closer look and at a few debug logs. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler

Thomas Linder Puls

Post by Thomas Linder Puls » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:19 am

One of our user have received a Windows 10 machine (the rest of us have not shifted to Windows 10).

On that machine our largest repository cannot load in the GUI client at all (we have waited several hours).

(Running a virtual Windows XP machine on that Windows 10 computer there was no problems, so now that person have to perform all Vault operations from a Virtual Child operating system).

It seems that there is a severe problem here, so it would be very nice to hear about the status on this matter.
Thomas Linder Puls
Visual Prolog www.visual-prolog.com

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:46 am

I didn't receive an email from the last user, so I don't have a status. I have continued researching the issue. I haven't been able to recreate it though.

Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread? Having more detailed information might help me track this down.
Beth Kieler

sharpcon

Post by sharpcon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:48 am

I am experiencing similar issues.

I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (64-bit), and upgraded the Vault Professional client to V8.01.

Connection to the server is via a VPN.

I have my client set up to show the folder structure of the current repository in the upper pane, and the pending change set in the lower pane.

I have seen a number of behavioral variants:

1. After connection to the server, my usual repository, together with its folder structure and files appeared in the upper pane, but the Pending Change Set remained blank for a long time (many minutes) and the bottom status bar continued to show "Retrieving repository structure information from the server".

2. [I have seen the following once only] When the Pending Change Set pane did eventually appear, only a subset of the files that had actually been changed appeared there. Upon committing some of those files, others magically appeared within the Pending Change Set pane.

3. [The majority of experiments] The Pending Change Set pane did not appear, the application remained locked out (hourglass, or whatever it is called these days) and required Task Manager to close the application after I eventually lost the will to live and gave up waiting :roll: .

4. [I have seen the following once only] After connection to the server, both the repository and pending change set views appeared quite quickly, but the bottom status bar continued to show "Retrieving repository structure information from the server", and the application remained locked out and required Task Manager to close the application.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:05 am

There are a couple of different issues here, so let's try a couple and then further investigate the others.

First off, if you check your Vault Client installation directory, you should see a file named VaultGUIClient.exe.config. Open the file in an editor, and check for the following:

Code: Select all

<startup>
	<!-- Placed in order of preference -->	
	<supportedRuntime version="v2.0.50727"/>
	<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0,Profile=Client"/>	
</startup>
Ensure the ordering of the runtime versions are 2.0 first, and 4.0 second like I posted above. In Vault 8, you will most likely need to reverse the ordering of those two entries. If so, save and close the file.

Next, start the client, but do not log in (assuming you do not have any saved profiles). From the menu, Tools -> Options -> Network Settings, uncheck the checkbox for 'Request database delta on repository cache miss'. Click OK to save the settings, and close the GUI client.

Now try the same operations as before. Any change in behavior?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

sharpcon

Post by sharpcon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:54 am

The first of your suggestions is enough to fix all of the issues, as far as I can tell.

The 'Request database delta on repository cache miss' option was already unchecked.

The client now loads properly, in a timely manner, and all modified files appear in the Pending Change Set!

Thanks for your assistance.