Server setup Admin password bug

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Cargo Group

Server setup Admin password bug

Post by Cargo Group » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:20 am

Hi Everyone,

The last couple of days I have been migrating to a new server and version of Vault Standard.
From 7.1.0 on Windows 7 Pro to 8.0.1 on Windows 8.1 Pro. The 64 bits versions for all 4.
We've been using Vault since before version 5, and this should have been an easy routine by now.

However, everything I tried failed at the final step. Instead of the license key entry screen, the Admin login claimed "Login Failed: The server could not establish a connection to the database. Please check the server's log for detailed information. (FailDBConn)".
This is a well know message, and there are several good guides on this board to resolve any issues. But none of them helped in this case.
The vital hint to resolution was when I accidentally typed the admin password wrong. And still got the exact same error message!

The problem turned out to be caused by the part of VaultServer64_8_0_1_299.msi that accepts Admin passwords. If you use any special characters, the result is login failure.
After I switched to a less complex password during setup, everything worked just fine.
The extra confusing bit, of course, is that special characters are allowed in Admin passwords. Changing the password though the admin interface works as expected, even with that same password that caused so much trouble.

The same problem is present in the 7.1.0 installer.
The problem is not simply a case of one or more characters being dropped.
Please consider providing a different error after a failed username/passwords check.

Regards,
Igor van Houttum
Cargo Group
Apeldoorn NL

Beth

Re: Server setup Admin password bug

Post by Beth » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Could you list which special characters you used? I believe most of them should work.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Cargo Group

Post by Cargo Group » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:38 am

The password contained a backslash \ and a semi-colon ;
The rest were letters and numbers, 20 characters long in total.

Those characters do work in normal operation, but fail during setup.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:08 am

I'll log an issue to investigate the error dialog presented during installation.

Thanks for the report.

B:18147
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Cargo Group

Post by Cargo Group » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:17 am

That's goof Jeff.
But that is a minor issue next to the real culprit, the Admin password entry dialog during setup.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:23 am

Sorry, I should have said that I've reopened a bug for admin characters. There was a fixed bug in 7.1 for allowing semi-colons, percent, less-than, or greater-than. I don't see backslash listed as a character check. I've reopened that bug with your notes.

B:6994
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear