Upgrading from Vault 5 while moving to new server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

craigr

Upgrading from Vault 5 while moving to new server

Post by craigr » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:45 pm

We're running Vault 5 on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000.

We're migrating to Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server Web 2012.

Since the latest version of Vault won't run on our current hardware and the old version won't run on the new hardware, what is the best strategy for migrating?

FWIW we previously migrated from VSS and SOS so that data is in there somewhere too. :-)

Second question: We use shadow folders to maintain our website. So we check out a file from Vault, make a change, check it in, and it gets copied into the web folder. As I recall from setting that up the first time around, we had to do something strange like delete everything from the web folder on the server, check out all the files, set up shadow folders to point at the web folder, then check everything in. That is, we couldn't start with the web folder already populated with files then just check-out/modify/check-in to update the files. When we did that, the updates went into Vault but didn't get copied to the shadow (web) folder. Does it still work that way?

jclausius

Re: Upgrading from Vault 5 while moving to new server

Post by jclausius » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:08 am

Most likely the issue is caused by Vault 5 Server tied to to a particular version of .NET that won't run on Windows Server 2012. However, Vault 6 and higher will run on that OS. The Vault Compatibility Chart covers these scenarios.

If you're set on using that OS, you should contact SourceGear Sales ( email: sales AT sourcegear DOT com ). Check if there are any promotions or any discounts they can help with an upgrade... I don't know if it will help, but you can reference this post too.

In regards to your question regarding Shadow Folders, when a Folder is shadowed, the Vault Server attempts to do a GET like a client, but places the files in the remote location. I thought it was setup to do a GET with overwrite, meaning all files found on disk would be overwritten with the files already located in Vault.

In this case, checkouts would be irrelevant. However, I could see where the actions you describe removed those conditions allowing Shadow Folders to operate correctly. Was it possible the files had incorrect security permissions or read-only attribute set?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

craigr

Post by craigr » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Still not clear on the migration plan.

Do I simply copy the database and all the files (as I understand it, the old VSS data is in the file system, not the database), then install Vault 6 (or 7 or 8 ) on the new server and the newer version of Vault will understand the old database? Can I move the data then just install Vault 8 on the new server and it will read the old database?

Thanks for your help.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:14 am

In regards to how to do it, I think this Knowledge Base Article should help - http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=228
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

craigr

Post by craigr » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:34 am

Thanks. That pointed out a table I hadn't seen but we're moving the whole database anyway so no problem there.

This article doesn't address the fact that we're upgrading Vault at the same time. So moving a version 5 database then installing version 8, which expects some additional tables that won't be there. Will version 8 figure out what's going on, and can it build those additional tables automatically just based on what is already there?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:46 am

From a Vault 6 installation, you should be able to jump directly to the latest version of Vault.

My recommendation would be to backup and restore the databases to the new SQL Server following the KB article. Next download / install Vault 6.1 Server making sure to point the install to the new location of SQL Server. The installer should see the database, prompt you to use it [answer in the affirmative], and proceed to upgrade the database to Vault 6. After completion, it is recommended to backup the databases. I'll leave it as a judgment call if you skip this step.

Once Vault 6 has been installed, download / upgrade to Vault 8. The Vault 8 installer should take care of the rest of the database upgrades.

Assuming that installs successfully, make a good backup of the Vault 8 databases, and proceed to roll out any Vault 8 clients.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear