Merge not adding files

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

bbrewder

Merge not adding files

Post by bbrewder » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:09 pm

I'm a bit new to merge. I created a branch a few days ago, then made some changes in the trunk and tried to merge the trunk into the branch. Most of the changes seemed to get merge, but it doesn't seem to have added any of the new files that I added. The documentation seems to indicate that this should work. I looked at the list of merges, and it claims to have merged the new files (it was in a changeset that was part of the merge anyway). I followed the steps of the merge and carefully read the instructions, and I didn't see anything that looks like it would have prevented the new files from being added. What am I missing?

Beth

Re: Merge not adding files

Post by Beth » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:36 pm

It's hard to tell from the information here. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread? I'll collect the log files and take a closer look.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

bbrewder

Post by bbrewder » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:42 pm

I think I figured out what the problem was. When I did the merge, there were a number of files that had to be committed. A bunch of them looked like junk files that I didn't want in the merge so I removed them. It turns out they are some kind of temporary file created by the merge that included the missing files.

It would be nice to either fix the merge so the files are named correctly (files with temp in the name usually look like garbage) or have a way to fix the merge process if you accidentally removed those files. In the end, I performed another merge on just the directory where I noticed the missing files. Unfortunately I'm not sure if I got everything or not.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:57 pm

Is it feasible for you to have the origin and target folders on disk in working folders before you start the merge process? Without working folders, Vault has to manipulate things in temp areas.
Beth Kieler

bbrewder

Post by bbrewder » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Both the trunk and branch were already in separate working folders.

As a note, we are still on Vault 6.1.0. We are planning on upgrading to the latest version soon, but need to finish this project first (we have some hard deadlines to meet).

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:42 pm

Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread? I think taking a closer look would help.
Beth Kieler