Error when commit a branch operation

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

chauiprise

Error when commit a branch operation

Post by chauiprise » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Hello,
I need some help on the branching process in Vault.
We are using Vault Standard 8.0.1.
I did a branch from a folder, e.g. XYZ to XYZ_1_1_0.
When trying to commit the branch, I got this error:

Item $/XYZ caused the transaction to fail. An item with the same name or object id already exists.

In Vault Client, I see both the base and branched folders. And I can check in/out files from the branched folder.
1) When I get all files from the branched folder to my local drive, I notice there is a folder named '_sgbak' (for each subfolder).
2) It does not look like I can use the 'merge' option from Vault to merge content of a file from the branched folder to the main (base) folder.

Thanks much,
Chau

Beth

Re: Error when commit a branch operation

Post by Beth » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:46 pm

Check your Pending Checkins window. Do you have multiple attempts by the same name? If so, undo all those previous attempts.

If the name you want to use exists already, then it won't work. You must have a unique branch name. If the branch didn't already exist, then check the pending change set.

Merge Branches is for merging a folder. If you just need changes from one file to another, you could either merge branches and just select the change sets that affect only that file, or you can check out the target file for changes and Diff it against the original file that has the changes you want. Then you'll use Diff to move over just the changes and check in the file again.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

chauiprise

Post by chauiprise » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:28 am

Thank you, Beth, for the quick reply!
I must have made several previous attempts, so undo Branch clears up the item shown in Pending Checkins.
When I right-click on a file in the branched folder, I dont find an option to merge. You mentioned I could specify the change set that I wanted to merge, how would I do that?
Thanks again for your help.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:36 am

You could select the parent folder that holds the file and run a merge branches on that folder. You will then be given a list of all the change sets applied to that folder. You can filter these out some by date, and then you have to check which one has your changes that applied to the file and just apply that one in the merge. Even if you have a lot of changes to that one, the end result of the merge dumps it all into your pending change set. You could undo each item that is not your file, and then just commit the file it made changes to.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support