Vault Server at same Windows server as SQL Server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

hwapdc

Vault Server at same Windows server as SQL Server

Post by hwapdc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Hi
If the SQL Server has plenty of ressources - RAM, CPU, disk i/o is there any disadvantage by installing Vault Server at same Windows Server as the SQL server? Could there be an increase in I/O performance between SQL server and Vault (IIS) by this setup? The Windows server will only run Vault (IIS) and SQL.
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4206 only states it could be a problem if CPU performance is a issue.

Beth

Re: Vault Server at same Windows server as SQL Server

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:05 pm

If the network is a bottleneck for you, then it could improve performance.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jclausius

Re: Vault Server at same Windows server as SQL Server

Post by jclausius » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:06 am

There's no 'right' answer here, but rather what you are comfortable with. Also, this is all dependent on the number of users and their usage patterns. For example, for an installation for 400+ users, you may want to really take a close look at your hardware configuration. However, if this is a 3 user setup, than a single box solution might be just fine.

For example, if both Vault (IIS) and SQL Server are on the same machine, then all your eggs are in one basket. Now, a hardware or system failure will bring down the entire Vault solution regardless of single/multi machine setup. However, getting Vault back-up may require configuring *both* parts if you lose that single machine. In a multi-machine configuration, it is just a matter of restoring the single component that failed.

On a single machine setup, make sure to place limits on SQL Server as it has a tendency to use *all* of the resources on a system in it's default configuration. If that happens, it will cause virtual memory thrashing for the Vault Server, and sometimes starve the OS of resources affecting things like disk I/O as well as network traffic.

In a single machine configuration, you can avoid disk I/O problems by providing a fast I/O sub-system, and configuring Vault Server's working directory to use a different drives than the SQL Server's usage of drives for tempdb and the other Vault related databases. Also the use of SSDs (and soon to be released 3D XPoint drives) would be preferrable vs. platter (7200 RPM and less) drives.

Also, in a single machine config, CPU may become a bottle neck if you use something like a simple dual core chip.

I'm sure there are other issues that others may provide, but these are just some things to watch for off the top of my head.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear