Cannot install Vault 4.1.2 - FailDBConn error

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

redvizsla

Cannot install Vault 4.1.2 - FailDBConn error

Post by redvizsla » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:53 pm

I am trying to upgrade Vault 4.1.2 running on SQL Server 2008 on a Windows 2003 Server to the latest version of Vault. Because I don't want to break the service that is running now, I'm attempting to install Vault on a Windows 7 installation so that I can then progressively install the new versions of Vault to ensure the database is properly upgraded, after which I will be migrating it to a new Windows Server 2012 R2 installation.

Unfortunately, I cannot even get past the starting line. I've installed SQL 2008 Express (named instance SQLExpress). I then install Vault Server 4.1.2 using the Machine connection (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE), which seems to go okay... installs, creates the databases, and launches the web site. However, when I attempt to log in via the web browser, I get a FailDBConn error. I am logging in using 'admin' and the password I entered when I installed Vault.

Note that I'm doing a fresh install using blank databases... have not even tried restoring the backups I made from the other installation. I'm installing both SQL Server and Vault on the same machine. I am not using AD... Windows 7 is not connected to a domain.

Have tried both Windows-integrated authentication as well as SQL authentication using the sa account. Both allow creation of the database during installation, both fail in similar ways when logging into the web page.

I've read through all of the posts I can find and have not been able to get past this.

Below is a copy of the entire sgvault.log. Any help would be greatly appreciated... I've already spent several hours trying to get this going, and have installed Vault Server at least 20 times in various configurations. I'm probably doing something stupid, but needless to say, I'm a bit frustrated.

I'm afraid I'll break my installation that is running flawlessly on the Windows 2003 server, but if it would be better to do an in-place upgrade on the server to a newer version before trying to migrate, I'm open to that.

If there is any further information you need, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Paul

---------------------------------------------
# SourceGear Vault Server
----3/15/2016 12:31:10 PM --()-- Could not load connect string. There is probably an error with the encrypted password for the sgvaultuser database user. Contact technical support at http://support.sourcegear.com
----3/15/2016 12:31:10 PM --()-- Vault Failed to establish a connection to the database.
----3/15/2016 12:31:10 PM --()-- Could not load connect string. There is probably an error with the encrypted password for the sgvaultuser database user. Contact technical support at http://support.sourcegear.com
----3/15/2016 12:31:10 PM --()-- Vault Failed to establish a connection to the database.
----3/15/2016 12:31:10 PM --()-- The session information was not removed from the database. Please check sgvault.dbo.tblsessions within SQL Server. There may be orphaned sessions stored within the database. Error: FailDBConn
----3/15/2016 12:31:11 PM --fe80::10f5:3bad:c057:dded%10(fe80::10f5:3bad:c057:dded%10)--SSL Disabled Could not load connect string. There is probably an error with the encrypted password for the sgvaultuser database user. Contact technical support at http://support.sourcegear.com
----3/15/2016 12:31:11 PM --fe80::10f5:3bad:c057:dded%10(fe80::10f5:3bad:c057:dded%10)--SSL Disabled Vault Failed to establish a connection to the database.
----3/15/2016 12:31:16 PM admin--fe80::10f5:3bad:c057:dded%10(fe80::10f5:3bad:c057:dded%10)--SSL Disabled Could not load connect string. There is probably an error with the encrypted password for the sgvaultuser database user. Contact technical support at http://support.sourcegear.com
----3/15/2016 12:31:16 PM admin--fe80::10f5:3bad:c057:dded%10(fe80::10f5:3bad:c057:dded%10)--SSL Disabled Vault Failed to establish a connection to the database.

jclausius

Re: Cannot install Vault 4.1.2 - FailDBConn error

Post by jclausius » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Paul,

If you're going to upgrade, you'll need the sg* databases in place before any installation.

With that said, it looks as if you'd like to take a Vault 4.1.2 database and get it running with Vault 9, is that correct? If so, here's my recommendation:

1) Make a backup of the sg* databases on your existing Vault Server. (sgmaster, sgvault, and any other 'sg' databases - sgdragnet for example). (Do not detach). Note, at this point in time, you should bring down your existing Vault Server so users do not accidentally use the system while you are transferring the database.

2) On the new resting place, restore the databases to the SQL Server instance on your Windows Server 2012 R2 machine. (Do not copy and attach).

3) Install Vault 5.1.2 on the Server. Launch the install from a command prompt with Administrative privileges (msiexec /i "<path_to_vault_server.msi>"'). Use the default values. If SQL Server is on the same machine as the Vault Server/IIS, use the 'Windows' authentication mode, and make sure the account you use has SQL Server Administrative privileges. The installer should find the existing databases and ask you if you would like to keep them. Answer Yes.

4) Upgrade to Vault 6.1 (same kind of steps as in #3). Test the login from the web page (like you did before).

5) Upgrade to Vault 9.1 (same kind of steps as in #3) Test the login from the web page (like you did before).

If at any point there is a problem in steps 3, 4, or 5, grab the vault_install.log file which will be somewhere in the Local AppData's temp directory for your account.

---

For additional info, the steps were derived from http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 13&t=11648& and http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=228
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

redvizsla

Post by redvizsla » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the quick reply. I had originally tried restoring the databases before the Vault installation but ran into the FailDBConn error, so reverted to just trying a fresh install to eliminate the possibility that my database was a source of the problem (didn't appear to be).

In looking at the two reference links you provided, I ran across the compatibility chart (http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/documen ... chart.html), which shows 5.1.2 is not compatible with Server 2012 R2. Should I try the first steps with Windows 7?

Likewise, for SQL versions, looks like 2008 R2 is the only version supported across all versions of Vault you suggested I upgrade across.

Thanks,
Paul

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:11 pm

Sorry about that. I forgot about supported platforms.

Vault 5.1.2 may not run due to a .NET requirement, but Vault 6 does install on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Try bumping up Step 4 to Step 3, and going from there. For the lower versions, sometimes people encountered issues when upgrading multiple versions between Vault 2 thru Vault 6, and it was suggested to upgrade in increments as a slow but steady approach.

Since you still have the 'original' Vault 4 configured on your Windows 2003 Server, you can just restore the databases, and start with installing Vault 6. Pay attention during the installation to the dialog which upgrades the database. If there are no errors, and you can log in, then you can continue the upgrade to Vault 9. If the installation of Vault 6 fails to upgrade the database, hopefully the log gives an indication of what happened.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

redvizsla

Post by redvizsla » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi Jeff,

Because of all of the problems I've been having, and the seemingly continuous install/uninstall/reboots in trying to make this work, I decided to build a fresh Windows 7 Pro installation in VM so that I can take snapshots and easily roll back changes.

Here's what I did:

1. Brand new install of Windows 7 Professional
2. Fully patched with Windows Update
3. Attached to the domain
4. Installed SQL Server 2012 Express x64, used all default settings.
5. Enabled Windows IIS and ASP.NET components
6. Restored the sgvault and sgmaster databases then exit SQL Server Management Studio
7. From a CMD window as administrator, ran "msiexec /i VaultServer_6_1_0_531.msi"
8. Typical install
9. Machine (IIS AppPool)
10. SQL Server: Win7TestVM\SQLEXPRESS, Windows authentication
11. Detects database, tell it yes I want to use them.
12. Connects to database, appears to be working, then errors out. The installation log file is below.
13. Tried restoring the databases again and putting them into single user mode to prevent multiple connections, same problem.

I am starting with v4.1.2, jumping v5 and going directly to v6.1.0 using SQL 2012, could that part of the problem?

Any ideas?

One other consideration: both old 2003 server and the new 2012 R2 server are running on an ESXi server as VMs. I could pull down the 2003 server to my workstation and run it locally, allowing me to try in-place upgrades of Vault (with the benefits of snapshots to roll back things)... it's a bit time consuming, but do-able. If the solution is not obvious, perhaps I should go that route to at least move the system up a few Vault versions?

Thanks,
Paul

--- Installation Log -------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for IIS Version
Configuring your new Vault Standard Installation
Requesting the IIS Process User...
Modifying VaultAppPool...
Properties: Id=ApplicationPoolIdentity, .NET=v4.0, Mode=Integrated
Modifying VaultShadowFolderAppPool...
Modifying VaultIndexAppPool...
Modifying VaultNotifyAppPool...
Modifying SgDavAppPool...
Properties: Id=ApplicationPoolIdentity, .NET=v4.0, Mode=Classic
Creating Applications in IIS for web services...
VaultService application created.
Creating Applications in IIS for VaultShadowFolder web services...
VaultShadowFolder application created.
Creating Applications in IIS for Find in Files Index web services...
VaultIndexService application created.
Creating Applications in IIS for Notification web services...
VaultNotificationService application created.
Creating Applications in IIS for SdDav web services...
SgDav application created.
Creating Virtual Directories...
VaultService Virtual Directory created.
VaultShadowFolder Virtual Directory created.
VaultIndexService Virtual Directory created.
VaultNotificationService Virtual Directory created.
SgDav Virtual Directory created.
Requesting Admin user password...OK
Connecting to the SQL Server...OK
Verifying the SQL Server requirements...OK
Checking for existing databases...Found.
Asking for database's fate...Keep existing.
Upgrading the existing source control database...
This may take a long time. Do NOT stop this process!
Found 'Auto Update Statistics' ON for sgmaster -- setting it to OFF...OK
Found 'Auto Update Statistics' ON for sgvault -- setting it to OFF...OK
Checking the installed database version...OK
Creating SourceGear indexing database schema...OK
Creating SourceGear notification schema...OK
Grant database access to NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE...OK
Upgrading SourceGear master database schema...OK
Upgrading SourceGear source control database schema...OK
Upgrading SourceGear indexing database schema...OK
Upgrading SourceGear notification database schema...OK
Upgrading SourceGear master stored procedures...OK
Upgrading SourceGear source control stored procedures...Database 'sgvault' is already open and can only have one user at a time.
Vault Standard Setup is exiting due to a failure or cancellation. Error Code = -1280

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:10 am

From your error log, "Database 'sgvault' is already open and can only have one user at a time.", you should take all databases out of single user mode before attempting the installation.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

redvizsla

Post by redvizsla » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:07 am

Hi Jeff,

I tried it both ways. The first time through, the databases were in multi-user mode. I only tried the single user mode during a second attempt as a Hail Mary to prevent multiple connections to the database. Neither worked.

Is there anything I should do on the source end before backing up the databases that might impact this?

Paul

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:18 am

The log you posted had errors due to single user mode.

Try this, if you can rollback the VM just to the point of install, run the install (databases in multi-user mode). If that errors, look for %temp%\vault_install.log file in the administrator's temp directory. What does that error log look like?

Getting back to my original post. Before Vault 6, it was recommended to upgrade in steps (3 to 4 to 5 to 6). It could be that the jump from Vault 4 to Vault 6 is too much, and you'll have to find an intermediary way to get to Vault 5 and then jump to Vault 6.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:32 am

On your Windows 7 machine, can you instead use SQL 2008 R2? That one is compatible with all the versions being dealt with, whereas SQL 2012 is not.

Once the SQL portion is ready we could take this offline, and I can walk you through the upgrade. There are some questions I'll need you to answer in the first email.

1) What is the current size of your sgvault.mdf and sgvault_log.ldf? If you aren't sure where those are at, you can right-click the sgvault databases in SQL Server Management Studio, select Properties, and click on Files and the path will be shown to the right.

2) Do you have good current backups of both the sgvault and sgmaster databases that are on Vault 4.x?

3) What drives are on your Windows 7 machine and how much free space do they have?

Then send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread and the answers to the questions.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

redvizsla

Post by redvizsla » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:43 pm

Hi Beth, Jeff,

I decided to post my results here for the benefit of others.

Short version: I have a shiny, new installation of Vault 9 running with upgraded databases.

Long version:

Even with SQL 2008 R2 (and even SQL 2008), never could get into the web interface with 4.1.2, 5.1.2 or 6.1.0 to work (FailDBConn error message). There is a known issue (http://kb.sourcegear.com/FortressHelp/v ... f=5&t=9815) with 32-bit versus 64-bit with 4.1.2, and that may be part of my problem (this is all being done on a 64-bit Win 7 Pro machine).

To test that, I installed a fresh version (factory databases) of 7.2.1 x64, and it worked! Reverted the VM, restored my databases, installed 7.1.2, which upgraded my databases, and that worked, too! Holy cow, there is a light at the end of this long tunnel!

Had another lightbulb moment: who cares if the web interface for the older versions works? As long as the installer upgrades the database, that’s all that really matters. So I proceeded to restore my databases, then installed 5.1.2, 6.1.0, and 7.2.1 (x64) in succession, ignoring the FailDBConn error, and as I found before, with 7.2.1 x64 installed, I could get to the web interface, but benefited from the progressive upgrades of my databases.

However, when I tried to upgrade to 9.1.0 x64, it reported that I had a 32-bit version of Vault installed. Sure enough, 6.1.0 was still installed (the 7.2.1 x64 upgrade did not uninstall 6.1.0). Uninstalled 6.1.0 (left the databases), then tried to install 9.1.0 again, gave me an installation error (“There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.”).

Thought that maybe the uninstall of 6.1.0 messed up the 7.2.1 x64 install, but when I tried to uninstall 7.2.1 x64, got the same installer error. Even after a reboot, same error.

Oh, the joy of VMWare: backed up the freshly minted 7.2.1 databases, then restored the operating system to before any Vault installations, restored the databases, and installed 9.1.0. Happy day, everything is working. I have not moved the databases over to my Windows 2012 R2 Server, but I’m hoping that migration will go smoothly.

Couple of notes:

1. Used a CMD window as administrator and msiexec to launch each of the installers. Not sure this was needed, as the installer does otherwise prompt to move into elevated status if you don’t, but did it just in case.
2. I did need to re-register IIS:

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis -i
All of this was done on SQL 2008 except that at the very end, I used SQL 2012 using the 9.1.0 databases created on SQL 2008, and that worked, too, so I expect to be able to setup my new server using 2012. I also have not tried installing the Vault client, but given the web interface is operational and things look okay, I'm assuming/hoping that will go without any problems.

If I have any further update, I'll add to this post.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:51 am

Thank you for the detailed update.

The most common reason I see for not connecting to a database after install is when the database is on a different server than the Vault server and the wrong combination of options are used for setup. If a users chooses Machine for the IIS Process Model, that sets Vault to run under a local user account. Then if a users uses Windows authentication when connecting to SQL, Vault sets up that local user account as the one to manage the database connection. The problem is that a local account has no authority on other machines across a network. The solution is to either run under a Custom IIS Process Model and use a domain account, or to use SQL authentication when connecting to the SQL Server.
Beth Kieler

redvizsla

Post by redvizsla » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:58 am

I will add that I met all of those conditions you stated (Machine, local user account, Windows authentication, all running from the same PC), but the database connection still failed. While it may not be truly the case, it was not until I got the 64-bit install of Vault (7.2.1) that I could establish a connection. Would the x86 version of 7.2.1 have worked? I don't know, did not test it, so I don't know if it was getting to 7.2.1 itself that resolved the connection problem, or getting to a 64-bit version (or both).

In either case, thanks again for your fast replies and support! Kudos, that's not often found.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:00 am

Thanks for the update. If you have any problems on upgrading to the next version, send an email to support at sourcegear.com and we'll help you through it!
Beth Kieler