Vault connection issues - timeouts, failed check-ins etc.

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

craighann

Vault connection issues - timeouts, failed check-ins etc.

Post by craighann » Tue May 03, 2016 7:57 am

Hi,

We've been using Vault Std. for many, many years, having moved from Visual Sourcesafe via SourceOffSite. In recent months we've had real issues with the Vault client failing to perform any actions - get latest, check in, check out etc.

While on site with clients recently, myself and a few of my team were finding that they were unable to use the client at all - now this sounds like firewall/proxy issues I know, but none of the settings in the Vault client, or through remote accessing our server via TeamViewer, seemed to help. We've looked at the usual settings as advised by this forum such as changing Chunked Encoding, Expect-100, disabling database deltas, server timeouts, file upload limits, buffer sizes - nothing helps.

What we do know is that it's not the server. Local logins work fine. Remote logins on some client networks work fine. Remote logins on others do not. The issue is that Vault doesn't give us enough information to diagnose or fix the problem - see screen grab below. I've checked the IIS server logs, and there are no corresponding errors server-side.
vault issue.png
vault issue.png (265.96 KiB) Viewed 9453 times
We're currently running Vault Std 7.1.0.2028 on the server, and 7.2.1 (265) on the client. I'd appreciate some advice, as these recent issues have made us start to reconsider our commitment to Vault as a SCC system.

Thanks in advance,
Craig.

Beth

Re: Vault connection issues - timeouts, failed check-ins etc

Post by Beth » Tue May 03, 2016 9:12 am

This will take some troubleshooting to solve.

The first thing though is I think you should get your server up to Vault 7.2.1 as well. It seems like I vaguely recall something back with version 7 where it was much, much better when all were up to version 7.2.1.

I'll also want to see some logs. Can you send your Vault Server Log (maybe the most recent and a couple back) and your Client Side Log (%temp%\VaultGUIclient.txt) from a machine that has the issue to support at sourcegear.com?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

craighann

Post by craighann » Wed May 04, 2016 1:33 am

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the quick response, it's very much appreciated. I've upgraded our server to 7.2.1 now, I'd put it off as I wasn't sure if it would be an in-place upgrade... happily it was very straightforward! I've advised my team to all make sure they are running the 7.2.1 client too.

I've emailed the client and server logs as requested. If you look back to the 20th May you'll see many errors. I was on site and had to give up on Vault and just back up my code on DropBox.

I wasn't aware of these log files - I'd checked the IIS logs to see if it was a failure/timeout in the web service, but didn't know where else to look. The logs I've sent through point to a database level issue. As it was working on our local network I hadn't considered that.

If you need any more information, please just let me know. I'm very keen to get a resolution to this soon as it's been an ongoing issue for a while for us.

Regards,
Craig.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 04, 2016 12:27 pm

Neither of your log files show anything for May. What I see for April though is that IIS recycled and cut off the connection. The errors start at 13:36, and the "System Started," which indicates a recycle, starts at 13:36. So, something recycled IIS.

In your IIS Manager, click on application pools, then click on the vaultapppool and click on recycling in the right column. Turn off all recycling. Make sure that is off on the app pool for the website Vault is under and all Vault-related app pools. If Vault is the only website, then turn off recycling on all application pools.
Beth Kieler

craighann

Post by craighann » Tue May 10, 2016 5:11 am

Hi Beth,

Apologies it's taken me a few days to get back to you. I've checked the Application Pools; All the Vault -related ones had recycling turned off. I've turned it off also for the other Application Pools, although the only site running on this IIS server is Vault. I've also checked the Application Pools in the settings of the Virtual Directories for VaultIndexService, SgDav, VaultNotifyService, VaultService and VaultShadowFolder - all are mapped correctly.

Regards,
Craig.

craighann

Post by craighann » Wed May 11, 2016 2:05 am

Hi Beth,

I've just re-read this thread and I realised I stated a date of the 20th MAY, when I should have said APRIL.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 11, 2016 12:42 pm

Since we're talking offline as well, I think we'll just do all discussion there.

HS: 244594
Beth Kieler