Shadow Folders Not Working

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kmxsoft

Shadow Folders Not Working

Post by kmxsoft » Sun May 15, 2016 2:26 am

Using SourceGear Vault Pro b8.0.1. Single user. Windows Server 2012 Essential.

SVP is working well for maintaining version control. However I cannot get shadow folders working.

I have a project folder called Sqlite.The vaultshadowfolderservice.txt file reports the following:

15/05/2016 08:29:10 <generic>: [<No Name>:52] Vault's Shadow Folders attempting get for Sqlite
15/05/2016 08:29:10 <generic>: [<No Name>:52] Vault's Shadow Folders encountered an exception attempting to get the files for Development. The Shadow Folders for the repository may not be synchronized with the Vault Server.Access to the path 'F:\ServerFolders\Sqlite\Soccer' is denied. :::: Time elapsed from Get() start to exception was 0.

Beth

Re: Shadow Folders Not Working

Post by Beth » Mon May 16, 2016 10:56 am

Is F a local drive or mapped drive?

Is F:\ServerFolders\Sqlite\Soccer shared?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

kmxsoft

Post by kmxsoft » Mon May 16, 2016 1:43 pm

F: is a local drive. The folders within (several, including this one) are shared on the LAN.

I was wondering if the user account which performs the shadowing had the necessary share permissions, however I am not familiar with which user that is. Is it running as a service on the server? What is the service name?

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon May 16, 2016 3:23 pm

If you open the IIS Manager and click on Application Pools, you can see which user is running the VaultShadowAppPool. I think that's the identity that needs permissions.
Beth Kieler

kmxsoft

Post by kmxsoft » Tue May 17, 2016 8:12 am

I opened IIS and found the VaultShadowFolderAppPool, but am at a loss to understand which account is account is responsible for that service.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue May 17, 2016 8:26 am

In the listing of the application pools there is a column that lists the Identity. You might see ApplicationPoolIdentity or some other account listed.

If you see ApplicationPoolIdentity, then I think you need to give the IIS_IUSRS groups read/write/modify rights to the shadow folder.
Beth Kieler

kmxsoft

Post by kmxsoft » Wed May 18, 2016 5:52 am

I now have this working perfecdtly thanks to the help received above. There wer 2 issues:

Issue 1: I had set the share up under the shared folders of Windows 2012 Essentials. This is a "Home Server" arrangement where another server process is handling the shares. It seemed to object to me adjusting security for extra user IIUSR.xxx, which wasn't configured as a home server logon. So I set up another share outside of the home server arrangement.

Issue 2: The IIUSR_xxx account didn't have permission to access the share.

Once I had changed the above the shadow folders populated as expected.

Grateful thanks for the help received here.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 18, 2016 8:05 am

Thanks for the update.
Beth Kieler