Database size question

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

nalenb

Database size question

Post by nalenb » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:08 am

I talked with my boss about moving from VSS to Vault. He questioned the size of the SQL database. Does anyone have a comparison between VSS size and Vault size once the VSS is imported? Some rough percentage of VSS size would be helpful.

Thanks

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:30 am

Based on the differing compression algorithm used to store the files, it would be hard to compare. Also our labels / branches are light weight. Files data is not copied to the new objects until it is changed. I have no idea how VSS treats their data in this respect.

Do you know if this is a question of size limitation or does your boss want this information for hardware requirements? Since everything is stored within SQL Server, the only limitation on database size will be enforced by SQL Server.

Perhaps others who have migrated would like to opine on VSS size vs. Vault DB size after import.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

nalenb

Post by nalenb » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:38 am

We have about 3 gigs of VSS data on 6.5 gigs of disk space (or at least that's what Explorer tells me). We need to get permission to use a SQL server in our data center (so the backups are automatic) and I was wondering how much space we need. My guess is 5-10 gigs to give enough room for future growth.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:44 am

Two suggestions.

- Only import what you will need or what you think you may need. If there are dead branches in your VSS repository, there is no reason to bring that baggage over to Vault. Also, this will help minimize the space required in the database.

- Do the import locally. If you install the same version Vault server that you will be using at the data center, you can then do the import locally. After the import has completed, you can then check the size of the actual database files.

Good luck.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

nalenb

Post by nalenb » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:17 am

Well, now the threat is that we should be using the corporate standard of PVCS. Goodness. I thought there was no where but up from VSS.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:25 am

Isn't Serena in the act of phasing out / merging PVCS into "ChangeMan"?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

nalenb

Post by nalenb » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:34 am

No idea. I just know it's more terrible than VSS last time I used it. :-(