Login to admin fails

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

nalenb

Login to admin fails

Post by nalenb » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:54 am

New install of 3.0.7 on a Windows 2000 server running .net 1.1. The database is not local and I used an sql user/password to do the install. Installation proceeded without error. http://localhost/VaultService/ comes up fine in web browser. Upon trying to log into the admin app, I get the following error:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VaultServiceAPILib.VaultServiceAPI.AuthenticateAndLogin(VaultSqlConn conn, String strLogin, String strDecryptedPassword, String strHostname, String strSessionID, VaultUser vu, Guid& gSessionGUID, Int32& nValidUserAttempts)
at VaultServiceAPILib.VaultServiceAPI.Login(VaultSqlConn conn, String strLogin, String strDecryptedPassword, String strHostname, String strSessionID, String& strToken, VaultUser& vu, Int32& nValidUserAttempts)
at VaultServiceAPILib.VaultServiceAPISystem.DoLogin(Boolean bAdminLogin, HttpApplicationState has, HttpSessionState hss, String strHostname, Boolean bUseFullFiles, String strLogin, String strPassword, String strRMKey, String& strAuthToken)
at VaultService.VaultAdminService.Login(String strHostname, Boolean bUseFullFiles, String username, String strEncryptedPassword, String strRMKey, String& strAuthToken)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

My login is:
username: admin
password: password
host: localhost

Going to vaultservice.asmx works and ping returns 1.
No other web.config at the root web.
I cannot find sgvault.log anywhere on the drive.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:10 am

Looks like the same problem this user had:
http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=3981

We had them manually create the sgvault directory in %Windir%\Temp, verify the account used by Vault had full control over that directory (Machine\ASPNET or a custom account), and restart IIS.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

nalenb

Post by nalenb » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:10 am

Perfect, it worked. Note however that I did run the install as administrator, had full rights to everything, and no error message was received during the install. Pretty easy fix though and everything is working correctly.

Thanks

nalenb

Post by nalenb » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:17 am

Spoke too soon. Admin works fine, I created a user and a couple repositories. User has all access to all repositories. I log into the client just fine. However, when I try to add a file to the root folder (or create any folders), I get:

[6/22/2005 11:13:21 AM] Preparing data to begin transaction
[6/22/2005 11:13:21 AM] Beginning transaction
[6/22/2005 11:13:22 AM] Add $/servers.html
[6/22/2005 11:13:23 AM] Upload for item $/servers.html failed, retrying...
[6/22/2005 11:13:27 AM] Upload for item $/servers.html failed, retrying...
[6/22/2005 11:13:28 AM] Upload for item $/servers.html failed, retrying...
[6/22/2005 11:13:28 AM] Upload for item $/servers.html failed too many times, aborting transaction.
Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client.
The specific error was "The server had an error processing the file upload but did not return an error header. The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error."
An exception was encountered during the transaction. Exception: The server had an error processing the file upload but did not return an error header. The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.UploadItem(ChangeSetItem item, String txID, Int64 totalBytes, Int64& bytesWritten, Byte[]& streamBuffer, Int32& bytesWrittenThisFile, Boolean bIsImport)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.Commit(ChangeSetItemColl givenItems, Boolean keepCheckedOut, Boolean removeLocalCopy, Boolean bIsImport, DateTime dateImport, Int32 nUserIDImport, Int64& nRevID)
[6/22/2005 11:13:28 AM] Ending the transaction
[6/22/2005 11:13:29 AM] Transaction failed

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:50 am

Check this KB article for possible solutions.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=735

(Note: you can now enable or disable chunked encoding from the Vault GUI client under Tools->Options->Network settings.)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

nalenb

Post by nalenb » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:04 am

Chunked data was already off on the client and the other suggestions don't seem to apply.

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:13 am

I can tell you exactly what the problem is. Your Vault identity doesn't have full control of its working folder (%WINDIR%\temp by default)

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:18 am

The account running Vault may not have access to the Vault working directory (default is %windir%\temp).

Send me a copy of your sgvault.log file and we'll see if there are any other clues. Email Linda at Sourcegear.com
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

nalenb

Post by nalenb » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:10 am

Nope, the access on temp wasn't it. I sent the log and even turned on debug logging.

Looks like this is the problem:

"XML stored procedures are not supported in fibers mode."

Which of course I have no idea what it means or how to fix it.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:38 am

When in doubt, search our KB Forum:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2699
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

nalenb

Post by nalenb » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:55 am

Obviously you posted that just now and back dated it ;-)

Is this something the installer can check for? Or maybe a better user end message rather than me having to look through the log file?

I've written to our IT group to see if this can be done for me on the shared SQL server. I'm not hopeful :-(

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:29 am

I'll log a feature request to see if we can provide a better error or detect this setting in SQL Server.

In the meantime, I've added info about XML fibers mode to the KB article about troubleshooting upload failures.

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?p=2449
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

nalenb

Post by nalenb » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:17 am

K, heard the bad news today, they want the database removed from the server. They could not change the fibers thing and their backup scripts failed due to:
"getting errors due to a 'Quoted Identifier' setting that the sgvault database needs to have set"

Don't know if there's anything we can do about it, but they yanked the db off the server. Doubt they'll even try again.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:29 am

nalenb wrote:They could not change the fibers thing
Quite surprising as more and more database applications will be using XML. SQL Server 2005 may be another alternative, as it has more functionality when using XML.
nalenb wrote:their backup scripts failed due to:
"getting errors due to a 'Quoted Identifier' setting that the sgvault database needs to have set"
BACKUP DATABASE does not have problems here. Are you sure they didn't try to run a maintenance plan using Microsoft's Database maintenance wizard? See Maintenance: Vault/Dragnet database(s) for more information on the proper maintenance routines with Vault's database.
nalenb wrote:they yanked the db off the server. Doubt they'll even try again.
Sorry to hear this. Would one of your DBAs want to talk?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:38 am

You might consider another hosting solution for Vault:

http://www.orcsweb.com/sourcegear/sourc ... sting.aspx
Linda Bauer
SourceGear